Companies like Avon

Can anyone help me out. I'm looking at ways to earn money with a company like Avon that allow me to deliver catalogues. Any idea?

Comments

• lozza1985
    lozza1985 Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Hi! There are 3 catalogue companies that spring to mind - but there are others, and there are of course companies where you hold parties (like Ann Summers and I think there is a candle one as well - but I'm sure other people will give you info on those).

The main 3 are Betterware, Kleeneze, and like you mentioned Avon.

I haven't tried Betterware, but I do know that you don't need to pay for the catalogues they are provided, and you get a set area to cover - so no chance of anyone pinching your territory! However - we had a catalogue through the door a few weeks ago and thought it looked very outdated! But, there are a couple of people on here who have recently started it and seem to be doing well out of it. Don't know how much commission you get on any sales though.

For Kleeneze, the catalogues run for 6 months, changing in January and June (I think!) you do pay for them, but considering how long you can use them for it isn't too bad. I tried Kleeneze earlier in the year, and because our area has lots of distributors and you don't have a set area we found that we couldn't get enough sales to cover the monthly costs. There is a £7.50 per month charge for ordering online, and costs for delivery if your orders are below a certain amount (can't remember the exact figures) - but obviously these costs are paid out of your commission so you need to be able to cover a large area in order to make it worthwhile in my opinion. There are bonuses you can earn for achieving certain levels of sales.

For Avon I can tell you a little more, as I currently do it so the figures are easier to remember lol! You can earn 20% or 25% commission - you need to get £78 of sales to get commission but this is quite easy to reach as it includes the cost of anything you order, including the books (although you don't get commission on those). For 20% commission I need to get sales above £78, and for 25% I need sales of above £148. The "campaigns" run for 3 weeks, and you can ask for a territory - the amount of houses given will depend on what is free in your area. You do need to buy books quite regularly - they are £4.86 approx for the first 15 books, BUT, after that point it is only 48p per pack of 5! Also, you can use your books twice, as you are allowed to "back-order" ie use the last book alongside the current book - meaning that you don't need to buy as many books as you might first think!

For any of these types of companies, you will need to register as self-employed (very easy to do over the phone) and if you save all receipts for costs related to them - printer paper, ink, bags etc then you can deduct them from your earnings to give you your profit - meaning that you pay less tax!

There are a few threads on different companies on the forum - if you do a search on the forums it will bring up lots of info for you.
    Avon Lady since 2009 - I help on the Avon hints & tips thread to help other reps/new sales leaders as I was helped so much by it when I first started out :A
  • alirob12
    alirob12 Posts: 809
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I work for a company called AKUNA, which is a bit different than Avon - direct selling company - it is a network marketing company, and I think it is great. I have a full time job, and do this in my psare time - which works great for me and my family. Not sure if you are allowed to post links here, but can pm if anyone interested...
  • cheeky841
    cheeky841 Posts: 552 Forumite
    I work for Betterware currently and can confirm you get 20% comission on all sales. If you want more info just let me know.

I also do parties for Partylite and you can do catalogue drops for them to, if you love candles like I do, its a great company to work for. Im finding the training is great, everyone is friendly and again you earn 20% comission with the opportunity to earn 25% if you bonus. You dont have to pay for the kit either.

If you want furhter info on either please just send me a PM.

You will get loads of people replying with all the differnet options, the key is to choose something you think you will enjoy, if you dont enjoy it you wont be enthusiastic about it and wont do aswell.
  • JennyJewell
    JennyJewell Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    Hi Katie,
    I know you are looking for a company that delivers catalogues - I have done Kleeneze and it suited me well at the time when I needed to take my youngest boy with me who was 18 months old at the time :)
    I now do Body Shop - love the products and I get to show off the products in a nice warm house :)
    Did party last night and earned £70 for 3 hours work - I have 2 boys so nice for me to have a girlie night out and earn some extra at the same time :)
    Good luck with whatever you choose hun :)
    Jenny :)
    Everything happens for a reason :)
  • catalepticdru
    catalepticdru Posts: 83 Forumite
    I do Wikaniko(they sell eco products), similar thing but you have a website as well to sell from - (PM if you want details). They have other marketing methods as well, parties, trade fairs, others. Start up cost os £48, but you only get a half dozen cats but they only tend to replace them every 6 months - 1year, there are 2 different catalogues. I think to buy they are 30p each.
    I too looked at Betterware & Kleeneze, but there is already quite a few of these distributors in my area.
    I had a friend who did Virgin Vie as well - I think she did the parties? Pretty good but TBH I thought the products were quite expensive (but then I spend as little a possible on cosmetics anyway!)
  • Looneylee
    Looneylee Posts: 302
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Katie,

My advice would be to start up with a company that you love their products. It's easy to sell something you have a passion for. Have a look into all the ideas on here and see what takes your fancy.

I sell Usborne Books and love it! It works around your family commitments and you start off earning 24-26%.

Let me know if you'd like any more info.

Lisa x
  • catalepticdru
    catalepticdru Posts: 83 Forumite
    Looneylee wrote: »
    My advice would be to start up with a company that you love their products. It's easy to sell something you have a passion for. Have a look into all the ideas on here and see what takes your fancy.
    Lisa x

She's absolutely right... that's why I didn't go into something like Body Shop or Avon, I do like their products - but I use very little of them, I don't wear makeup and I have the most basic of skin care regimes, you basically need to be an advert for the stuff you sell.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    :spam:#9 SPAM please hit the :spam: button

No self promotion on this site, Mary. Please read the rules before posting.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Are there any jobs like avon that don't have a start up fee. i don't have any money right now and a job like that would be great for me. any ideas..?

• Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Are there any jobs like avon that don't have a start up fee. i don't have any money right now and a job like that would be great for me. any ideas..?

If their was, it would be a tad difficult to run your own direct selling business without any capital to cover running expenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure