How to learn to drive - CHEAPLY!

Heya,

I just sent off for my provisional and I really want to learn to drive at the moment. I think it'll make my life a LOT easier and will save me a lot of cash in the long run (yes! I know that sounds mad!)

So I was wondering if there was a way of learning to drive, to pass my test, cheaply. I've been looking at a lot of different driving schools and there are some good offers (First lesson free, £10 first lesson, discounts for block bookings etc).

Also I was wondering if I saved up and got an old banger (less than £500) and did private practice in it would it be worthwhile? My brother-in-law knows cars and can fix most problems with any and with my dad on the insurance (and as I'm a bit older) I can get a good quote of around £500 per annum and my dad has offered to pay half.

Thanks guys!
Lloyds CC: £5150.73 :eek:
Lloyds OD: [STRIKE]£2500[/STRIKE] £2224.44
Ex-employers personal loan: [STRIKE]£300[/STRIKE] £250

Comments

• CheesedOff
    CheesedOff Posts: 66 Forumite
    i had a couple of lessons with an instructor before using my own car to cram as much practice in as i could. then had a few more lessons with the instructor still using my own car.

just offer to drive anyone around providing they have a licence for it :p
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The cheapest way is to save lots of cash and have at least 2 lessons a week. You won't forget in between and you'll learn quickly.

Avoid any company which gives a dicount at first - they'll add a few lessons at the end to get their cash back.
  • find a friend you trust who is over 21, has driven for three years and who you wouldn't miss too much if you had a big falling out.... persuade them to take you out for a pint... and have a few proper lessons so you know what the examiner's looking for..
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cheapest way would be to get someone you know to do most of it for nothing.
    Happy chappy
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Usually " cheap " instructors are cheap because they are not any good, you may well end up paying more ie; 50 lessons at £10 instead of say 20 at £20 with a good instructor.

Avoid the big companies use a local self employed one that is grade 6.
  • dieselhead
    dieselhead Posts: 599 Forumite
    Please be careful with the insurance, if it is your car you should be the main driver and your father should be a named driver, also many insurance companies are actually quite cheap before you pass your test (as I suppose you have someone with you all the time) but when you tell them you have passed the price often shoots up.

Also don't forget the other costs accociated with running a car such as MOT, parts (even if you are fitting them yourself), road tax and of course fuel!
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure