How long does it take to receive a credit card?

Comments

• Rock22
    Rock22 Posts: 13 Forumite
    exel1966 wrote: »
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to apply for and receive a card within 24hours whether you are given an instant decission or not as cards are not despatched until the company receives a signed copy of the credit agreement by return of post. On top of that you have delays for admin, CRA checks etc.

Some don't need for signed credit card agreement, last two I got required only a checkbox on the Internet form to be checked before submitting.

Credit checks are done near instant now, with real verification done by them querying Experian/Equifax real-time and asking which other credit cards you have, the last balance on your statement and the first date you received that credit card, and compare it to the results from your credit report. Answering the questions correctly is enough for them know your customer
  • Rock22
    I think it normally takes around 3 to 4 weeks from the date you make the application (ONLINE) if you are lucky enough.

Wow 3 weeks is a long time, I applied for two CC a week ago on Tuesday and received both today with PIN received last Friday - that's Virgin Money Mastercard and CitiCard Mastercard.
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh yes they do !!

Yes, verification can take place on line by the CRA, but that works for the minority rather than majority and is there to establish your ID for fraud purposes and to check your history. That does not mean acceptance for ANY card.

You will still have to sign and submit a signed copy of the Credit Agreement before a card will be issued as it forms part of the contract between you and them. Without it, you have no contract and NO card.
  • smithja
    smithja Posts: 561 Forumite
    Hi exel1966, you do not need to physically sign a contract anymore. I would suggest you google "electronic signature". It is a perfectly legitamate form of signing a Consumer Credit Act Agreement now, it was introduced in the last year in statue. You also usually do not have to prove your identity to apply for a credit card, I have never once been asked to do so and I have 4 cards from major lenders (at the moment) 2 of which I got after giving an electronic signatures, which simply means ticking a box, the cards then turned up in the post a week later after getting an "instant decision", which again many companies do. Give it a go, apply for a Natwest card, or a GE Money card, you will soon find out. The only time I have been asked to provide ID was when applying for a current account or saving account.James
  • smithja
    Hi exel1966Please read this:http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file23061.pdfwhich contains amongst other things the following:1.5 Since the close of the White Paper consultation period, we have been working with key stakeholders to put this policy into practice. The result is the attached Order under section 8 of the Electronic Communications Act 2000 to amend the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA) and associated secondary legislation to remove legal obstacles that currently have the effect of preventing credit agreements from being concluded or notices and documents associated with an agreement from being provided by electronic means.5.1 The changes will benefit both business and consumers.5.2 The removal of impediments to electronic contracting will open-up new markets for the credit industry – and will enable them to lend with confidence that agreements made in this way will not be held to be unenforceable on the basis of the communication mediumI hope this makes it clearer.James
  • exel1966
    Forumite
    Having had in the region of 30-40 different cards over the years (7 currently for stoozing purposes) I have NEVER received a card without being forwarded a copy of the credit agreement to sign and return to the organisation concerned.
    Those cards have come from all the major high-street banks, MBNA, Citi, Egg, BOS, BOI, RBOS, AMEX, Morgan Stanley to name a few whether in their own guise or that of another name.
  • Rock22
    You will still have to sign and submit a signed copy of the Credit Agreement before a card will be issued as it forms part of the contract between you and them. Without it, you have no contract and NO card.

Sorry but I have four credit cards here and I didn't sign anything and send anything back.
  • Rock22
    Having had in the region of 30-40 different cards over the years (7 currently for stoozing purposes) I have NEVER received a card without being forwarded a copy of the credit agreement to sign and return to the organisation concerned.
    Those cards have come from all the major high-street banks, MBNA, Citi, Egg, BOS, BOI, RBOS, AMEX, Morgan Stanley to name a few whether in their own guise or that of another name.

Goldfish - Had to sign and send back
    Vanquis - Had to sign and send back
    CitiCard US Dollar Visa - Had to sign and send back

CitiCard MasterCard - Never had to sign anything
    Virgin MBNA - Never had to sign anything
    A&L MBNA - Never had to sign anything
    Barclays - Never had to sign anything
  • smithja
    Hi exel, it only came in to effect pretty recently and as you know nothing stands still for long. In our age of electronic communications it makes sense, and when you tick the box to state you are aware you are signing a Consumer Credit Act agreement, it is just as valid in a court of law as one signed on a piece of paper. That why I have a problem with James' fingerprint idea, I was going to write to the CRA's and ask them their opinions as Equifax seem to like the idea but I am not so sure. If everyone is moving toward electronic signatures they wont have the forms to send out to put your fingerprint on. Plus unless there is a database of fingerprints to match it against as yours how can a llender be sure, I think it would make them say "sorry we are not taking the risk" James
  • exel1966
    Forumite
    I'm all for cutting down on uneccessary paperwork and would welcome a paperless society for theses types of things, but it's never going to happen in my day and age.
    Going to have a read of that link you provided earlier and see just how much of what the Govt preaches is actual reality.
    Not so sure about the fingerprinting idea though. I've nothing to hide, but our civil liberties are being eroded enough as it is, but that's a very long debate I don't wish to go into here !

Rock: All those cards where you had nothing to send back, I've had them all and did have to send the agreements back. Things may have changed ! I've never had to submit further proof of who I am where an online check is done via Experian etc as I've always passed that stage without problem, nor have I ever been declined a card (yet) so can't see one rule for one and not for another here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure