The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Is it possible to have carpet fitted and pay weekly?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post (hope it is in the right place??) ok so am slowly trying to make this house liveable and i am in desperate need of carpet on the hall stairs and landing i have no idea (not even ball park) of how much this would cost, although i know the chances are than i wouldnt be able to pay out right ,as i am a single parent to 2 under 5's and i am not working at the moment. All i know is that my 2 yr old keeps getting splinters in his feet when he takes his slippers off (he hates them :-( and its driving me mad haha

any advice would really be appreciated and i look forward to reading everyones posts in the future

Thankyou in advance Bex

Comments

• Hi Bex
    There is a pay weekly carpet place where I live so they do exist but it depends what area you are in. A friend got a quote and they are very pricey though. If you can find an independant local carpet shop or warehouse they will be much cheaper, quotes are free so maybe get a few and see if you can afford it.
  • beckieee20
    beckieee20 Posts: 15 Forumite
    i have tried looking but have to admit i am pretty useless however i will keep plugging away :-) thank you
  • We had a wool carpet fitted to the hall and stairs last year and it was £600 but, it is a quality one which I had saved up for and been wanting for nearly eight years!

We have a local place in the North East which has quality and discounted carpets and recently ran a tv ad to carpet a three bed house for under £500 with fitting and underlay - obviously it won't stand up to the high use of a quality carpet but if you can do with a cheaper carpet for a couple of years until you can afford something better then this could be an option? I had a bedroom carpet from our place which is a roll end and 50% wool which was £120 fitted - shop around as you can find bargains, keep open minded about colour etc. Good luck :)
  • have you tried for a budgeting loan? for what its worth, I just got quoted £300 for one regular sized bedroom, 14 stairs and top and bottom landings. this is with cheap, but not the cheapest carpet, from an independant little business x
    Frugal living challenge 2011
    ....Failing miserably so far!
    Getting Married in 2013 :j
  • what area are you in?
  • beckieee20
    thank you so much guys ... its nice to know there are options out there will definately be putting some more time and effort into it :-)
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    You might actually get a grant for it if you are on income related benefits.
  • beckieee20
    I am in manchester ...

I did apply for a community care grant .. however they said that carpet doesn't constitue an essential :-(

thanks
  • try for a budgeting loan, I dont think you need to tell them its for a carpet, just tick the "home improvement" box ( I thik I remembered correctly, though it was a fair while ago. )
  • beckieee20
    :D thats brilliant never thought of that will def give that a go thanks so much

bex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport