Never paid a gas bill.

2»

Comments

• I never paid a gas or elec bill at my last property. It was a new build (we were the first residents) and we waited and waited for something through the post to say who our supplier was. 3 months went by...4 months and then got a knock on the dor from some sales person from Scottish Power, he asked who my current supplier was and I said I had no idea. He made a quick call and using my postcode ascertrained we were still on temporary pipes! Apparently some people slip through the net in new build properties and were one of them.

Anyway, this sales guy told me to keep on as I was because they would never find out, and if they did it would be impossible to work out how much of it was mine and what was used whilst housew was being built and during the first couple of months before we moved in.

Ive since left that property and no one has even mentioned it! I think the new people are also on free gas and elec!
  • Derek_A.
    Derek_A. Posts: 74 Forumite
    I agree with Penny Pincher, of course if you use it pay for it.
    Ther are far to many people in this world who always want something for nothing.
    Someone has to pay, if you dont the rest of us have to.
  • My mum always said 'there are only two sorts of people in this world; the quick and the dead'
  • If he was to phone transco they would say they were shipperless. This would then be classed as a new supply. He would then have to register with any supplier as a new supply. He would need his MPR (Meter Point Reference) number and his meter serial number and a current reading. I doubt he would be billed for the gas. He could keep quiet however transco have 1000s of sites like these. I think one day they would allocate him a supplier. Tell him to phone energywatch they would be the best for the advice.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We thought we were getting free electrity, until Npower woke up to an unpaid bill for our meter, they finally got the supply address corrected on a computer and the bill for £1200 odd arrived!

Your gas situation is different, as it's an new connection, but I'd be honest about it. Energywatch would be a good point of call. They were useless with our problems, but are generally quite good.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • I know of someone (my best mate) who is in the exactly same situation. Moved into a new build 5yrs ago and does not know who the electricity supplier is, never had any posts/mail or knocks at the door, and is constantly looking over her shoulder should that day come......
  • wowsavings
    wowsavings Posts: 61 Forumite
    We all like to get something for nothing, but be careful.

This person knows that they are using the gas, they know that they are not paying for it and they know that gas isn't free.

Therefore, that could be regarded as theft/fraud.

They do need to find out who the supplier is and get registered. Looking at previous posts, they can expect to see a bill for 2 years usage which they will have to pay. The supplier should let them spread the cost though.
  • DavidF
    DavidF Posts: 498 Forumite
    My cousin had a bill for nearly £6000 for 2 years of dual supply. The situation arose when he switched from his origional supplier to one of the alternatives. They simply didnt take the aggreed DD out of his bank account every month. Unfortunately when they realised their error they demanded all of the monies owed back. The cost is being spread over time as they have been put onto a higher tarrif which incorperates the deficit. He realises that he used the gas and must pay but he was a little taken aback at the amount owed and the fact that it was not his mistake but the suppliers. But they did insist on full payment and at 1st came over quite heavy handed and were demanding the full amount in 28 days accompanied with threats to cut off ect. He contacted CAB who inturn arranged the repayment over a reasonable time.
  • DavidF wrote:
    My cousin had a bill for nearly £6000 for 2 years of dual supply. The situation arose when he switched from his origional supplier to one of the alternatives. They simply didnt take the aggreed DD out of his bank account every month. Unfortunately when they realised their error they demanded all of the monies owed back. .

Didn't he realise they were not taking the DD out?

Had he had any bills?

Not just your cousin, but all the other people who've had no bills, surely they don't think it can be right just to keep quiet about it?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • DavidF
    DavidF Posts: 498 Forumite
    Didn't he realise they were not taking the DD out?

Had he had any bills?

Not just your cousin, but all the other people who've had no bills, surely they don't think it can be right just to keep quiet about it?
    Hi no he didnt realise but he has got it all sorted out now. I think the point is he has many many more important things to think about and attend to than his electricity and gas bills. Im sure when you sign a form and send it off and call up to confirm everything is fixed up and ready to go that you would hope to be able to get on with your life and concentrate on everyday things such as kids, work, wife, food the list goes on and on. But ofcourse its nobodies fault in this Blameless society we now find ourselves stuck in.

Maybe if people actually woke up in the morning and engaged their brain before going to work all of this may not have happened.

In my opinion the people responsable for updating the computer at the company involved should be sacked on the spot for failure to do their job properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure