I can't believe I'm in this position again!!!

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP I've just posted thison another thread:

When you do your food shopping try going in with just cash rather than cards, you might find you actually think "do we need/want this" rather than just putting it in the trolley.

But also:

Dont forget theres wilko, the 99p/£1 shops, B&M/home bargains and shops like pound stretcher that might well sell things cheaper than the supermarkets (might even be cheaper than aldi/lidl)
  • Thanks DC will be checking those out too.
  • Sorry to hear about your worries, its horrible keeping things to yourself (I do it too so know where you are coming from), I hope this thread helps you, there are lots of friendly people on this site xx
    Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
    Sealed pot member #1443 2011: £106. 2012: £171
    Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
    100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails :()
    Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: £2355.53
  • hi im sure there will be a solution long term to your debts my other half dont no about all my debt either , im slowly paying of one thing at a time but itll be about 3 years till im debt free, try look on bright side and stay positive
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks DC will be checking those out too.

Another one here that's been down the dark debt/depression hole. Oh have I got that t-shirt! So pleased your feeling a bit more positive.

Take a look at the old style board for more ways to save on the grocery bill. Lots of good recipes and easy ways to save on cleaning stuff.

Just remember that what you borrow today, steals from tomorrow.

Wishing you all the very best.
  • Hi

I have been in serious debt before and we never learned the lesson and made another series of stupid decisions several years later

Don't worry- I had cancer and this made me stop taking crap from credit companies.

Take control-
    • go and see your doctor
    • List all your debts and detail them by how much the interest chages are- pay the higher interest ones first
    • Stop having the same account for EBAY and your current account- I cancelled my EBAY direct debit and use an account I don't keep money in to pay things. I transfer money to the account as I buy things and paypal takes payment immediately via debit card
    • Set up a seperate account (without a credit facility) and use this for every day spending. I take cash out each week and use it only when buying in person. It's a think once, think twice, hand in pocket and spend on the third strike (or put it in the later file)
    Above all - take control and stop worrying
  • Some great advice coming out here. :T

BlueBag's = Just remember that what you borrow today, steals from tomorrow. Fantastic advice - I will remember that one.

Great stuff from Skintandfat too, like the idea of the separate account for every day spending - Think if I saw REAL money more often it would make me think twice before spending.

Just remember AlwaysWorried that you have your family and your health, money isn't worth worrying about. As soon as you take control you will feel more positive about it.

:beer:
  • vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    I found the thing that helped me a lot was setting the grocery budget and transferring it to another account then try to stay within your weekly limit. I always enjoyed my food shopping and was an adman's dream - I was so easily swayed by offers in the supermarket and as a consequence this was my downfall and where I used to spend too much. The good news is it's also the area that you can cut back on quite easily.

Plan your meals for the week from what's in your fridge/freezer/cupboards
    Make a shopping list and don't deviate from it.
    Check out the cheaper supermarkets - A1di has saved me an absolute fortune over the last couple of years - good quality but less choice - saved me time too!
    Batch cook at the weekend - spag, chilli, curries, lasagnes, shepherds pies and freeze for the following week(s). You don't have to do all thisat once but over the weeks you'll build up a good store in the freezer.
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • Hi AW,

Just checking in to say hi, and hope all is going well.

Keep posting hun, let us know how you are getting on xxx
  • black_cat
    black_cat Posts: 703 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Always Worried - I hope you managed to follow some of the good advice given and that you're feeling more positive. Look after yourself x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure