PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help needed - I let a saucepan boil dry...

..when I was trying to reduce a fruit sauce for a crumble. I think it must have been like jam just at the end as it's gone quite high up the sides of the pan. All that's left is a very dry mixture cemented to the sides and of the saucepan. I've had the pan soaking in hot water with bio washing powder, but it's not working.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? It's a very heavy-based stainless steel saucepan which would be quite pricey to replace (£30 for a small saucepan!)

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You could try pouring a little ammonia in the pan and then putting it in a bin bag and tying the top up.

Leave it outside overnight so you do not breathe the fumes and then wash it out in the morning.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Hi,

I always use cola, leave to soak and then bring to the boil, the burnt on stuff comes off simply.

Hope it helps and you manage to rescue your pan.
    I won't buy it if I can make or borrow it instead
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    value washing powder might also be worth a go if all else fails. Worked a treat on my burnt on frying pan
  • lizimuffin
    lizimuffin Posts: 151 Forumite
    boil the kettle, put boiling water in the pan and on the hob put it on a low heat and it should dissolve the burnt stuff and make it easier to wash off.
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I just tried the coke trick on a saucepan that was burnt and has been hanging round for weeks, I almost threw it away today actually :eek: Poured some coke in, left it for a couple of mins and then had it simmering for a little while. Tried rubbing the caked-on-stuff and it just wiped clean off, amazing :eek:
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • will use some of the coke i buy from the shop today for this as i let my taties boil dry silly me can it be cheap coke or proper coke?
    We Make A Living By What We Get. We Make A LIFE By What We GIVE:money:

show me a man with both feet on the ground and i'll show you a man who cant get his pants off.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    will use some of the coke i buy from the shop today for this as i let my taties boil dry silly me can it be cheap coke or proper coke?

The mega-cheap budget/value stuff is fine. It can also be used for cleaning toilets. It makes you wonder what it does to your 'innards'. _pale_
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • John51
    John51 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Coca cola can also be used as an emergency replacement for WD-40.

One coke tip I've heard but not tried is on black trousers that have gone shiny at the seat. Wet with coca cola, leave to dry then wash as normal.
  • The mega-cheap budget/value stuff is fine. It can also be used for cleaning toilets. It makes you wonder what it does to your 'innards'. _pale_

thats exactly what my partner said lmao:beer:
    We Make A Living By What We Get. We Make A LIFE By What We GIVE:money:

show me a man with both feet on the ground and i'll show you a man who cant get his pants off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure