Any tips to stop condensation on windows?

Comments

• Hi I'm a new poster here, but I happened to notice this thread and feel the need to reply.

We have double glazing of 2 types, three windows of the old (real-looking UPVC, but made of metal and covered in white stuff) double glazing, and the rest of the house is new style white plastic UPVC. We get condensation on all windows in autumn/winter/spring (i'm looking it now as I type). We are soon to be changing the older windows to new UPVC ones which should help, as condensation literally runs off these windows at the moment. But I wonder if our 'newer' windows need changed too because I am at a loss as to why we have such a condensation problem.

We don't create any more moisture than you're average household (theres 2 of us), we dry clothes outside as much as possible, we open windows often, we have central heating which we run in the morning and evening, we have a fan in kitchen and bathroom. Our house is airy and doesn't have dampness.

Any ideas appreciated! (I'm sick of getting the window cleaning blade out to 'do the windows' every morning)
  • macka0
    macka0 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Just get trickle vents installed in the new ones or buy some and fit them your self....just a series of drill holes and then attach the vent over the top of them to the head of the window making sure you miss the glass of course ;)..this really does help the problem and all for the matter of a few quid
  • Hi macka0

Where can you buy these trickle vents? we have a small condensation problem in our house, the double glazing is old. But we can't afford to replace it. Sounds like this could help.

Thanks
  • Buy a dehumidifier, leave it on overnight.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    as been said, ventilation is the key factor. fit some trickle vents.
    make your/any airbricks are clear.
    Get some gorm.
  • Hi, I have been following this thread with interest, we are thinking of fitting trickle vents to our upvc bay window. The house is a 1920's semi, when we moved in 5 yrs ago there was no double glazing or insulation at all. We got a grant and had cavity wall and loft insulation (which has been very worthwhile). However when the wall insulation was done the contractors filled all the exsisting air-bricks up with silicone (or similar). We now get condensation on the windows when it is cold, if we close the thick curtains it seems to be much worse than when we use the blinds alone. I was wondering if it would be better to unblock the air bricks ( these only seem to be on the outside only into the cavity) or fit new air-bricks at high level, or fit trickle vents to the windows. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • macka0
    macka0 Posts: 87 Forumite
    just found this place online...never used it b4 so its not a recommend and also i think you could find them a lot cheaper
    http://www.handlestore.com/trickle-vent.php?cat_id=3&crtag=GventTrick01
    but probably best going to a local upvc window manufacturor and picking them up there
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, I have been following this thread with interest, we are thinking of fitting trickle vents to our upvc bay window. The house is a 1920's semi, when we moved in 5 yrs ago there was no double glazing or insulation at all. We got a grant and had cavity wall and loft insulation (which has been very worthwhile). However when the wall insulation was done the contractors filled all the exsisting air-bricks up with silicone (or similar). We now get condensation on the windows when it is cold, if we close the thick curtains it seems to be much worse than when we use the blinds alone. I was wondering if it would be better to unblock the air bricks ( these only seem to be on the outside only into the cavity) or fit new air-bricks at high level, or fit trickle vents to the windows. Any advice would be appreciated.
    The vents shouldn't be sealed up. They should be sleeved through the cavity insulation.
  • qtlc
    qtlc Posts: 28 Forumite
    "The vents shouldn't be sealed up. They should be sleeved through the cavity insulation."

You sure?

Thats what happened to ours last week when we got loft insulation and cavity wall installed. They left the ones that vent under the floorboards ok but said they had to seal off the ones in the walls.

I was thinking of drilling it back out as the condensation ever since has been quite bad on all our windows, especially in the bedroom.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Buy a dehumidifier, leave it on overnight.
    This is a solution that would always work.
    Dehumidifiers are great.
    Pricey, but worth their weight in gold to clear up condensation and general dampness.
    Note though: they can be as expensive as a fan heater to run.
    They do come in a variety of sizes though, so you can get small ones for small rooms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure