Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• Hadn't thought of that! (Radiators on low setting coming on fully at first). Having checked round the house, we appear to have about half of them on frost setting, four on a normal setting and six on a low setting. The two towel radiators and the two hall radiators are on full as they don't have thermostats. The Aga is a godsend as we not only use it for cooking and heating the kitchen, but also for ironing on top of the metal covers! Although it probably does get through some 1600 litres for our six months' use, it still leaves us some 4400 litres for the central heating. Many thanks for your input though David.T!

With regard to HenAderyn, those prices you quote are horrendous! I hope to goodness that you somehow find a better deal and soon!

One of the problems with LPG is that its users tend to be a captive audience in that they have no choice but to use it. We have a gas main running through a field about three hundred yards away from us. The cost of getting linked to it, even if it were possible, would be huge. So, we could go for oil, but we would have to convert or get new equipment, or we could go for wholly electric, again at substantial cost.

Earlier contributors have mentioned that the suppliers are making a very large profit indeed on the wholesale price of LPG. The utilities have to publish tariffs but the LPG suppliers are completely secretive as to how they arrive at their charges. Maybe time for a government inquiry and action on the prices charged?
  • Phoned Countrywide yesterday regarding the new increase and queried the fact that one of the contributors to this topic was being supplied by Countrywide at 43p per litre while I was being charged 52.1p per litre. The young lady I spoke to suggested that the 43p customer was a grain drier - perhaps those of you who are leaving posts could let me know if you are private or business users and also your general location so that I might have the ammunition I need. A manager will be phoning me back on Monday or Tuesday to explain why the prices vary so much; should be interesting! I have also suggested that they might like to visit the moneysaving expert.com site to get an idea of the discontent among LPG customers. Watch this space!

I have also recently received "the letter" regarding a 3.5 ppl price rise, I have written to back to Countrywide asking them to explain their reasoning in further detail.

Back in March 2011 their last rise was 2.88ppl which they put down to the problems in Japan and the Libyan issue, since both situations have now calmed down and Countrywide farmers plc managed to make a gross profit of £4 million for 2011, I cannot understand how when the major energy suppliers are reducing their prices Countrywide has the nerve to raise theirs.

With approximately 4 million users I am at a loss that the LPG market does not have a regulator to cap prices, it almost looks like these companies are in league with whom ever is in power!

Seriously now considering investing in Solar Energy, but no doubt there will also be pitfalls and disasters to overcome if I go down that route!
  • I cannot understand how when the major energy suppliers are reducing their prices Countrywide has the nerve to raise theirs.

Major energy suppliers are selling MAINS gas, this is a totally different product to LPG. Its just not the same thing!!:D
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

With approximately 4 million users I am at a loss that the LPG market does not have a regulator to cap prices, it almost looks like these companies are in league with whom ever is in power!

If you look back through the older posts you will see lots of comment regarding lack of regulation and the whitewash OFT report.

But, you are correct in saying that lpg users do not have a 'body' that have lpg user's interests at heart.

That is why you should contact the OFT with any relevant issues that you have with your supplier.
  • DAVID.T wrote: »
    Major energy suppliers are selling MAINS gas, this is a totally different product to LPG. Its just not the same thing!!:D
    Agreed David it's not the same Gas, but they are all energy suppliers.
    One is shoved down a pipe to your door, the other is liquid and transported by lorry. But if the main Energy suppliers can reduce prices mainly by public opinion and government pressure and of course a regulator, then why can't the LPG suppliers? Could it be because we the minor 4 million LPG users haven't got the same clout or sadly a regulator?
  • Well, had a phone call back from Countrywide this afternoon, as promised. Expressed my annoyance, most politely, at the constant increases in LPG price and informed them that unless some major reduction was offered in the light of our high usage, I would be looking to change supplier in May. The chap who phoned me offered to halve, and then negate the latest rise. I informed him of the prices being offered by the competition, including Cardiff Gas at 43p per litre and asked for a further substantial reduction. He was not in a position to reduce the price further but would get a superior to call me back before the end of the day. Now 6.40 p.m., still need to hear from them so I'll await their call tomorrow. Have checked a few suppliers online, mostly the independents, and have also asked LPG Solutions to find me the best deal. Has anyone dealt with them before and was it worthwhile? Watch this space!:)
  • I seem to remember reading somewhere if the the price went above 3/3.5 ppl we could change suppliers.
    Can anyone confirm this or was it just with one supplier?

A slightly different matter, has anyone thought about trying to raise a petition of 100,000 signatures via the e-petition scheme to start a debate about LPG capping or introducing a regulator in the House of Commons?
    Considering we have 4 million (mostly disgruntled) users it shouldn't be too difficult. We could start a simple website where LPG users register.
    Anybody interested?
  • I stand corrected, there is an E-petition:- (I'm evidently not allowed to a the link in) but look up epetitions.direct.gov.uk and look for LPG.

Trouble is there's not many signatures, it needs a bit of spreading the word and some publicity............Lets get start signing!
  • Good idea! As you say, it shouldn't be too difficult to get the required number of signatures as long as people can be made aware of its existence - maybe a few letters to the press would help?
  • Hi there folks

May I beg your patience - I've not posted much before.....

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing - I now don't feel quite so isolated!

I am in a similar position to Ace - 1800's building, done as much insulation as is possible and using around 6000l per year. I seem to be getting price increases of 3.5p/l every 6 months with Calor and I'm not too thrilled.

When we moved here 18months ago, we had no heating upstairs (knackered 30year old boiler) and downstairs wasn't great with another working, but inefficient, 30 year old boiler. We looked into the possibility of going for a wood or pellet boiler but the upfront costs were very inhibitive and the lead in times too long so we ended up just replacing the 2 boilers with new, efficient LPG boilers.

However, the engineers couldn't fit the new boilers as the pipework was so out of date and Calor refused to upgrade the pipework unless we signed a 2yr contract. I ended up signing but then had to wait over 3 months before Calor did the work - double quilts on everyones beds and using the old boiler (which had been condemned by this point) through all the bad weather of a year ago. I explained to Calor that I had an ageing, ill father living with us but it made not a jot of difference.

Anyway, we got there in the end and for the last 9 months everything has worked and I keep paying Calor their stupid prices until my 2 years is up (not until December this year). I received a call yesterday and Calor are coming to visit me this afternoon to discuss 'upgrading pipework at their expense'. I'm intrigued - it sounds like they want to change the copper piping they put in last year, to plastic and I have a feeling they are going to try and make me sign another contract - they are doomed to disappointment unless they offer me a lower price.

Just in case anyone needs a comparison (which is why I found this forum in the first place) - here's what I am paying in Fife, Scotland........
    Sept 2010 - 39.90p per litre
    March 2011 - 43.40p per litre
    Sept 2011 - 46.90p per litre

I'm now off to sign the petition!!
    Cheers
    McSkint
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts