Real-life MMD: Pet dog or doghouse?

Comments

• Quite apart from the dog issue, when were you thinking of actually telling your wife about the holiday ? In time for her to buy a new swimsuit (beach holiday), go on a pre-holiday diet (ditto), get a new outfit (somewhere with night life), go to the gym (skiing), cancel her evening class/visit to relative/night out with friends/tennis tournament ......you see where I'm going !! People need NOTICE to enjoy a holiday, and a lot of women would hate to be given insufficient time to prepare. Please TALK to your wife about the proposed holiday (as well as a family conflab about the dog).
  • As a child I also wanted a dog and got my first one when I was 8 years.I have had dogs all my life.I always looked after my own dog, exercising and feeding.My dog as a child was a friend, companion and confident. It taught me a great many things too many to mention and helped me make many friends. I always took the dogs on holiday with me.
    However nowadays they can be expensive with the cost of vets fee,s and food but in my opinion well worth it.
    Have you considered initially getting the child to exercise a neighbors or friends dog for a while, or maybe an old age pensioners dog to gain experience and responsibility.
    Both parties will benefit and you could all go out as a family to see if it would work out.
    The poop scooping and cold wet weather at this time of the year and the time consumption may well settle the matter once and for all either way.

Good Luck.
  • why dont you to go to the local rescue centre and get a dog - alot cheaper and theres some wonderful dogs wanted a new home,so then u can have a holiday as well. merry xmas
  • My sons then aged 8 and 10 also wanted a puppy 'because all their friends at school had school had one'. I got them a hamster to look after.
    I also signed up to a dog sitting service. For four years we looked after different breeds in our home. Sometimes for 3 weeks or just a weekend whenever their owners went on holiday, short breaks, family commitments etc. The owners supplied the dogs food, bedding, toys and treats. The dog sitting service inspected my home, insured me
    and arranged a license from the council. So my sons had the pleasure of looking after a dog, I didn't have the cost of food and dog insurance, distress once the dog died or the hassle of looking after it once the boys got bored of it.
  • Children should never own a pet, as only an adult can truly be responsible for them. If you got a dog it would be family pet that needs to be trained, walked twice a day, fed twice a day, played with and given mental stimulation.

I would explain to the rest of the family that you'd rather have the freedom and money to enjoy other luxuries which is what a pet is.
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    It sounds to me like you are secretive and controlling . The others want a dog - yes , OK a dog is a liability BUT...

You are secretly saving for a holiday the others don't know about (either the saving or the holiday) . You are planning on pleasing yourself and not addressing what they have told you they would like . At least they have had the common courtesy to talk to you about their hopes .

How would you feel if you got home one day and SURPRISE ! there's this cute little puppy !!!!ing over your chewed-up slippers ?

You are doing much the same to their hopes . Learn to live with them - grow up and talk to your family .

Great suggestion from Boston Blue that might be a compromise on the dog (and still get you your holiday without a lot of resentment) . Maybe even save your marriage !
  • mel12
    mel12 Posts: 298 Forumite
    Talk to her. Maybe buy her a small surprise (like flowers or chocs), but rather than the big holiday being a surprise tell her you've got the money saved up, and ask what she would prefer to do with it. Preferably do this out of earshot of your son initially so the two of you can decided on a joint decision first.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down,
    Only after the last river has been poisoned,
    Only after the last fish has been caught,
    Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten
  • Fairly simple.... If you're having to ask, do the holiday!

I work in rescue and far too many are given up because of a whim, purchased for a child, purchased as a gift etc.

Spend the money on a holiday and sponsor a dog instead!
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 15 Forumite
    marich wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you are secretive and controlling . The others want a dog - yes , OK a dog is a liability BUT...

You are secretly saving for a holiday the others don't know about (either the saving or the holiday) . You are planning on pleasing yourself and not addressing what they have told you they would like . At least they have had the common courtesy to talk to you about their hopes .

How would you feel if you got home one day and SURPRISE ! there's this cute little puppy !!!!ing over your chewed-up slippers ?

You are doing much the same to their hopes . Learn to live with them - grow up and talk to your family .

Great suggestion from Boston Blue that might be a compromise on the dog (and still get you your holiday without a lot of resentment) . Maybe even save your marriage !

I agree - I left my first husband because he kept doing stuff like this - telling me we "couldn't afford" to do things, and then he'd turn up with a new set of furniture or some large fancy item and say "oh, it was all for you" and I'd think, well, if it was REALLY for me, we'd have discussed it and agreed to save up together.
  • JRsrule
    JRsrule Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dogs are absolutely wonderful companions, friends and members of the family. But if you can't afford good pet insurance, then please don't have one.

Our family dog, an elderly girl now who has been the centre of our lives for many years, is adored and cherished, but in the last few years the vets bills for serious illness have run well into four figures. And that is not to mention the routine stuff like boosters, worming tablets, flea prevention, nail clipping, check ups etc. Add on the regular costs of food, toys, treats etc and it all adds up to some very serious money.

So if you are struggling to save for a holiday, ask yourself if you can afford monthly pet insurance or large vets bills. If you can't, then just carry on saving for the holiday, and maybe sponsor a dog instead. Depending on his age, your son could always volunteer to do dog walking at a local rescue centre!

good luck with your decision
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family