PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comments

• Oooo would it be possible to put me down this month, will be my first month in a real effort to get our food/household account down, were looking at buying a house in a coupld of years so every extra will help.

£300 for the month

With the idea to get it to around half that!

Nessy
    Nessy x
    House Deposit - £0 /£20,000
    Weight Loss - .5lbs
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,842
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

I'm still posting on the November thread but just wanted to say THANK YOU to Zippy for getting December's thread up and running :A

Budgets done to here :)

Welcome to all the newbies: wmf, JackieRHE, Shortie, CRANKY40, Welshdreamer and agreenmess :wave:

I will be reading along but won't join you officially until 1st December.

Good luck everyone :D
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2012 at 4:39PM
    :wave: Hello to the new people on here.

thanks to all who run the thread.

After much changing of my mind have decided to go for £280 for Dec please. Have increased slightly but not as much as usual so hope that its achievable.
    We are for the first time EVER going to be out for Christmas day at our daughters but are providing most of the food as they are skint and have a young family. Am looking forwards to it but it is going to be very different to usual.
    Will really try to curb the impulsive buying for what is basically two days as its so unneccesaryand results in so much being wasted or crammed into already cramped freezers.

So just Dec to go and then its time to really try to get to grips with the GC in 2013 as want to decrease from the usual £260

Have managed in the last two months to bring internet & phone bill down by £50 per month, diesel by £40 per month and car ins by £50 per year . . . .
    :money: a HUGE £1130 a year if it continues :money: (think I deserve two for that) :rotfl:

Good luck to everyone and to those who are on a yearly budget I hope there is the money there to still come under budget IYKWIM

Still on Nov until last day.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • As its going to be Christmas il put £250 on our budget please :)
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My December started today with an £8 odd spent on fruit, bread, ham, w-up liquid and kitchen spray. Will update when I find the receipt later on.

I am going for £400 for December with a separate £50 budget for the Christmas food.

Got given a £2 voucher for the works canteen today so that will be a nice lunch for me later in the week.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Please can i be put down for £200 for december please this is to include all dog food, toiletries, booze, cleaning stuff and general stocking up plus normal food. Last year i was really lucky on yellow sticker stuff and january was suitably super cheap because of it. One thing i will try not to over indulge in is the non "healthy eating" naught but nice foods.... honest
    Consolidated and under control 42 payments to go.
    :cool::(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(:o;):mad::p:(
    [STRIKE]£7028.50[/STRIKE]£5990.43
    Aim: 35 and Debtfree
  • malamay
    malamay Posts: 793 Forumite
    December is such a big month! My wages come through a week early, which I absolutely hate. It makes such a mess out of the planning! I transfer wages to savings, then pay myself on the correct date, otherwise it gets spent.

So onwards with grocery planning. We have no idea where we'll be for Christmas dinner. I'll be cooking one here sometime over Christmas week, and possibly entertaining. I'll give £250 for the budget this month. I've been saving on the weekly stamp scheme at Mr. T, and will not include this £50 in the budget, as it will be spent on a few gifts and some booze.

December spends start here o the 30th, and we are still within budget for November, even while stocking up on dairy to get petrol vouchers from Mr. T. Hubbs spends £400-£500 in diesel a month, and it's nice to get a little savings here. It'll more than make up for any overspend in grocery this month :)
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,716
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm still posting on the November thread but just wanted to say THANK YOU to Zippy for getting December's thread up and running :A

Budgets done to here :)

Welcome to all the newbies: wmf, JackieRHE, Shortie, CRANKY40, Welshdreamer and agreenmess :wave:

I will be reading along but won't join you officially until 1st December.

Good luck everyone :D
    Coxy

Thanks. I won't be starting just yet, I'm still in Novembers budget but it's a bit late to join that. I'll be starting at the beginning of December with most people.
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Will have a go, unofficially. Fingers crossed
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • Morning all.

Can i join in please?

i have joined in the past, usually around january time and then wained off.

the festive period is always a little tighter for us as my hubby is self employed and no work means no pay. so what ever i can save is a bonus.

this year we used the park hamper scheme to save weekly for christmas. we got the vouchers and a frozen joints/meat portions hamper. i know i could have gotten them cheaper else where, but i preferred the peace of mind of knowing it was paid for.

I am combining these last 10 days of november in to our december budget and aiming for £300. our usual budget is £300 for 4weeks so this will mean we'll be stretching it over 6 weeks instead.

Good luck to all and have a merry festive season

x x x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family