Tocatto Debt Collectors

Hi All. I have received a letter from Tocatto debt collectors saying I owe O2 money from a cancelled direct debit from 9/12/2006. I have never had a contract from 02 so am puzzled as to how they got my details, but also slightly worried. What do I do??

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This is common when a debt is approaching that statute of limitations (6 years in england and 5 in scotland). They sell the debt to DCA's for a fraction of the debt owed and the DCA's then basically go "fishing".
    Some of their common practices include writing to people with the same name in the hopes of finding the right one.

I wouldnt advise to ignore the letter though. I would reply saying that you have no knowledge of the debt as you have never had a contract from O2 and ask them to prove the debt belongs to you.

You may also want to check out: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76
    I believe they have some letter templates on there if you are contacted from a Debt Collection Agency regarding a debt that doesnt belong to you.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,851
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Also, OP, I think it's commonly advised to never deal with a DCA by phone - always in writing so you have a paper trail.
  • Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Personally I would ignore them. They're just fishing DCA don't have any legal powers.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • busyladee
    busyladee Posts: 46 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for you replies. I've just typed up a polite 'prove it of !!!!!! off' letter and see what they come back with. Fingers crossed it'll be the last I hear from them!
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Oliver14 wrote: »
    Personally I would ignore them. They're just fishing DCA don't have any legal powers.

yes but if you ignore them they might start phoning you up and phoning your neighbours up and generally being a PITA

At the end of the day they cannot take you to court and win if they cannot show its your debt so you have nothing to lose to write/email them telling them clearly why its not yur debt.
  • HI anyone know the number for Tocatto debt agency as i have lost my letter..

thanks
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,851
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    From a Google search, Tocatto used to be called Lowells - try this number 0113 308 6093.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure