Glass shower panel, shattered to pieces

Comments

• mellymeep
    mellymeep Posts: 617 Forumite
    That's what I was actually thinking of doing Andrew, I'm going to send a nice letter to the landlord asking where exactly we stand, and if he thinks maybe a claim to the building managers would be helpful as it was certainly out of the ordinary for that to happen with just regular use. I've got photos of the mess it left, and my injuries. I don't want it to get nasty or anything, but if there's the chance that I don't have to pay for it then I want to take that route. I've just found one of the shards and assuming it hadn't smashed in half it is about 4/5mm thick. I've left a note for my neighbour with my phone number to see if I can pop round to check her shower pane for the kite mark and the manufacturer label.

I'm guessing if we leave it until we move out, the landlord could probably take our entire deposit to replace it, as it is quite a professional looking bathroom. We paid £250 plus half a months rent in lieu when we moved in. And obviously he will most likely pick out the most expensive labour to get it replaced :rolleyes: I have contacts who are builders so I could probably get it done for a reasonable price, it would just be the cost of buying a new pane that might break the bank. I'm only a student with a part time job!
    trying to become a moneysaving student
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have replied over on the pet thread...just wanted to check what other comments you have had here.
    The more I think about it...the more I believe your landlord should be falling over himself to put this right, without any expense or further stress on your part. Does landlord realise you ended up in hospital?
    If there is a management company involved in the flats you want to notify them as asap...if these shower screens ARE faulty the next accident could be a fatality.
    If you don't start getting more favourable responses then there are lots of adverts on the telly 'Had an accident? Not your fault? ' I think you and the cat both seeking medical attention would get their interest pretty quickly!
  • mellymeep
    He's generally pretty nice, I mean he lives in London and we're in Leeds, so I think he just has these flats as a little earner where he doesn't really have to bother much. I'm not sure what he exactly said cos it was my fiance on the phone to him, but he didn't make much fuss over implying he would be paying anything towards it.

I'm going to try contact a neighbour tomorrow and see what shower frame they've got (cos I'm assuming they are all the same) and the building manager, because he is always around as there are flats still being finished on the top floors of the block. I don't want it to get nasty that's all, or for them to think that I'm trying to scam them out of money, I genuinely do think it wasn't my fault and definitely wouldn't want this happening to anyone else.
  • Adaline
    Adaline Posts: 269 Forumite
    I had my glass shower enclosure do exactly the same thing a couple of months ago - really scarey. Most of it broke into tiny pieces, but there were still some large sharp shards which my friend cut herself on. It was replaced through my insurance with no problems, but through the buildings insurance, not the contents, as it's fixed to the wall. The person who fitted the new one said that the old one had been put on at a slight angle, so put extra stress on the glass which is probably what made it shatter. It's impossible to prove this was definitely the cause, so that's why I went through the insurance.
    Good luck with it! I had to force myself to go back inside it when the new one was fitted, but I'm fine with it now!
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mellymeep....ok so he is pretty nice, that's good. Right now the accident is no-one's 'fault' ( certainly not yours ) if someone else were to get hurt in the same way, or if it happened to you again...well that is another matter! You were not mis-using the bath panel....so it is NOT up to you to replace it. He may or may not be able to claim to insurance to replace it, not your problem. His dispute would be with the developer not you. He DOES have a duty to provide a SAFE replacement. Maybe your OH under palyed your injuries...a visit to hospital requiring stitches is a serious matter. I don't think you sound like the kind of person to try and abuse the situation, but as I say...at the moment he is not in a very strong position legally whereas YOU ARE.
  • mellymeep
    This is a photo of the after math, as you can see the shower shattered completely into pieces. (I wouldn't click it if you're queasy over blood by the way)

http://11.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ksjv4m9ZQ41qzxsq5o1_500.jpg

I'm guessing that is actually what it should of done? We're going to get a hold of the building manager tomorrow and get some input from him, because we really want to get to the bottom of why it happened, and if we could avoid having to pay for it that would be great.
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    You admit you "pushed it the wrong way" and it broke !!!

Toughened glass is fairly brittle and will do that every time so there is NO fault.

Would you expect your landlord to pay if you dropped something and broke a floor tile ?

Dont you have insurance you can claim from ? I thought it was compulsory to have insurance when you rent a property.
  • jkgray
    jkgray Posts: 196 Forumite
    raymond wrote: »
    You admit you "pushed it the wrong way" and it broke !!!

Toughened glass is fairly brittle and will do that every time so there is NO fault.

Would you expect your landlord to pay if you dropped something and broke a floor tile ?

Dont you have insurance you can claim from ? I thought it was compulsory to have insurance when you rent a property.

I agree entirely. I just don't understand why so many people seem to have the view that landlords bear all the responsibility and should always foot the bill for everything that may happen to their tenant. It seems to stem from a view that all landlords are "loaded" and all tenants are "poor" and so the tight landlord should just pay for any damages caused by - or misfortunate that befalls - their tenant. :rolleyes:
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The landlord unfortunately wants us to replace like for like, so we're not allowed to install a rail for a material curtain and it will have to be another glass one. I will certainly be much more careful in future that's for sure.

Why not get a cheap tension rod and curtain from Argos or B&Q and have the screen replaced when you vacate ?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thread is 3 weeks old guys and the tension rod was already suggested long ago :)
    Insurance is NOT compulsory as a tenant...indeed i lived for many years as a tenant completely uninsured - though the landlords had building insurance (i know as a window got broken by stone flying through from a lawnmower - that was just normal glass :eek:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure