Pre-payment gas meter - battery failure

concerned43
concerned43 Posts: 1,316
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I am with Scottish Power (for my sins) and have a pre-payment gas meter. I went to put my heating on this morning and it did not go on, I checked the meter and I have a 'Battery Fail' message. I knew this was going to happen because an engineer was sent out last month to correct the meter and told me that the battery was on its last legs but said he was not allowed to replace it because Scottish Power only do so when the battery has died.
I tried contacting Scottish power's customer service team but they are 'updating their systems' and not available. I have tried 7 different number thus far:
0845 607 6677
0845 272 7999
0845 270 7000
0845 605 6677
0845 744 4555
0845 729 2292
0845 270 3333
.Some I got through to and they could not help and gave me other numbers to try and some of the lines are dead!
So I now face the prospect of no heating or hot water this weekend. Does anyone else know of a number I could try?
many thanks

Comments

• Gman0365
    Gman0365 Posts: 119
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have no idea who the Meter Assest Manager is for your meter however, I would try the main one which is National Grid Metering (NGM). If you cant get through to Scottish Power then you can phone NGM on 0845 6066766 and explain the problem to them.

Someone will answer your call on that number.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Yeah, try the emergency line. They have the facility to get batteries/meters changed and then they send your Supplier a communication so they can get your Meter Asset Manager updated.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2010 at 4:07PM
    DO NOT CALL GAS EMERGENCY it is your gas suppliers responsibilty to sort this out the gas emergency service do NOT deal with this at all.

the number for scottish power is 085457 292 292 if there is a recorded message stay on the line to the end of the call it will give you the number for their metering management company - when you dial that number DO NOT take option 1 as it will take you to the gas emergency service who CANNOT HELP.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • concerned43
    Forumite
    lemontart wrote: »
    DO NOT CALL GAS EMERGENCY it is your gas suppliers responsibilty to sort this out the gas emergency service do NOT deal with this at all.

the number for scottish power is 085457 292 292 if there is a recorded message stay on the line to the end of the call it will give you the number for their metering management company - when you dial that number DO NOT take option 1 as it will take you to the gas emergency service who CANNOT HELP.

many thanks - called the line but just get a 'we are updating our system' service currently unavailable.
    Already tried gas emergency but they could not help.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,255
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Make sure when you eventually get it fixed that you get compensation. If a meter breaks they are supposed to send someone out within 4 hours. As you could not get through the 4 hours is well and truly up already. Compensation is £22 and they probably won't pay it unless you ask.
  • concerned43
    Forumite
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Make sure when you eventually get it fixed that you get compensation. If a meter breaks they are supposed to send someone out within 4 hours. As you could not get through the 4 hours is well and truly up already. Compensation is £22 and they probably won't pay it unless you ask.

Only £22! - its that per day? I'm sitting here freezing!!!!!
  • Dont know whether you've had you situation sorted yet but,

SP are open 24/7 afaik.. i referred a customer to their DNO number which is one of the numbers you posted above and they never came back to me.

Did you not think to contact sp to advise them you battery was almost dead? they should have booked a job on to have it exchanged before you went off supply.

also, good luck claiming compo, as you haven't had a job booked on they haven't failed to attend your property within the time frame, and its £20 not £22.

plus if you haven't got it sorted they'll def be able to help today ;)
    Working within the gas and electric industry since 2008'
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    I knew this was going to happen because an engineer was sent out last month to correct the meter and told me that the battery was on its last legs but said he was not allowed to replace it because Scottish Power only do so when the battery has died.

This information is not correct. Your battery warning light will come on around 6 weeks before the battery actually fails. This gives you enough time to contact your supplier and arrange for the battery to be changed. It makes no sense in allowing the battery to fail then leaving the customer with no gas until such time that the battery is changed. I am not aware of any supplier having this as their policy.

If you contact us this morning we will get the battery changed for you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • concerned43
    Forumite
    This information is not correct. Your battery warning light will come on around 6 weeks before the battery actually fails. This gives you enough time to contact your supplier and arrange for the battery to be changed. It makes no sense in allowing the battery to fail then leaving the customer with no gas until such time that the battery is changed. I am not aware of any supplier having this as their policy.

If you contact us this morning we will get the battery changed for you as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower

Colin - thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid it is true - your engineer saw that the battery was failing and said he could not replace it as Scottish Power will not let him until the battery has actually failed - I also had to call Scottish power again a week later regarding another problem I had with the meter and had to give them readings from many screens and also mentioned the battery - nothing was done on both occasions!
    Its a poor show when Scottish Power try to put the blame onto the customer. I am not an engineer, nor have I ever had a pre-payment meter before so therefore did not know what 'Battery' on my meter meant, BUT your engineer DID and NOTHING was done about it!
    So my son and I sat in freezing conditions all weekend..but then according to you that's my fault...oh and by the way I have only been a customer since September and won't be one come December!!
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    The thing to focus on is why an engineer said that ands ended up causing this situation.

What was that engineer there for?

Also, engineers issue notes back via their handhelds so he/she might have reported that battery issue to your Supplier, who may not have acted on it. Worth your Supplier checking that.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure