how to spot a fake? calvin klein's

Comments

• jiggaman
    jiggaman Posts: 31 Forumite
    they are probably real at that price, i went to the us and they were selling cheaper than that in the outlet stores, grabbed a few, cant go wrong with calvin klein underwear!!

but beware of buying clothes off ebay.. there was that guy who sold fakes up to the value of 170k a year for a couple of years before trading standards got involved recently and busted him.

enjoy your bargain!
  • I'm just returning 6 pairs of Calvin Kleins that are fake. I've been wearing the same style for around 10yrs and can tell the difference.

I even bought a legitamate pair from the high street to make sure I was correct. These are the differences I noticed compared to the originals purchased yesterday.

1. Size, completely different
    2. Waist band (no thin white band along the top and different colour logo embroidery)
    3. Stitching, unfinished/messy
    4. Button falling off the first pair I opened
    5. Detail at the bottom of the button area different
    6. Colour, not a true black
    7. Packaging completely different
    8. Inside label different

Obviously the age old rule applies, if it's too good to be true it probably is! As for people being allowed to sell fakes on ebay, it's bang out of order. Especially when I specifically asked if these were genuine and were told that they were 100% authentic. This isn't some ropey back street market, it's ebay !!!!!!!
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I got a CK crop top in Tesco a few years back and I think it was around about the £5 mark.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Most Calvin Klein underwear sold on eBay are fakes. We buy direct from Calvin Klein and receive the cheapest prices available and discounts on old stock first, so we know the price points at which other people can sell at.

A trawl on eBay by myself has made me pretty certain more than 90% of listings for Calvin Klein products are counterfeit. We receive almost daily emails from manufactures of counterfeit Calvin Klein items in China touting fakes off as genuine items for a seventh of the price of genuine items.

Some signs to spot fakes on eBay before you buy;
    • Are they selling alot of Calvin Klein products at over 50% off RRP when these are still mainline products at full price from other retailers.
    • They often sell only one or very few of the wide range of CK products available.
    • The colour schemes available are not available from a reputable store.
    • The packaging is also likely to vary slightly from the true original in design, stickers, barcodes and font.
    • Feedback is never a good judge as often fakes go unnoticed unless compared with genuine items and packaging, even to the trained eye fakes are difficult to spot.
    • The sizing is off, or the sizing measurements differ to that of the genuine product.

Calvin Klein does not participate in the eBay vero system and as such most listings remain unchallenged as the products are very hard to detect as fakes, including real products being used in photographs and then fakes being sent.

If anyone believes they have received fake Calvin Klein Underwear do not hesitate to contact us and we will help assist you in finding out if the product is genuine and if we can't will pass you on to someone who can.
  • macfly
    macfly Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    Boxers three pack for three quid at ASDA. Lovely.
  • lightisfading
    lightisfading Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    solution: don't fall for the branded clothing hype. you're being ripped off by calvin klein never mind ebay sellers.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    macfly wrote: »
    solution: don't fall for the branded clothing hype. you're being ripped off by calvin klein never mind ebay sellers.

Personal choice is a wonderful thing ;)

My MIL bought OH some from our local market, as he wears genuine ones it was clear from opening they were fake. The material was much thinner and the join in the waistband at the back very wonky. I only tend to buy them in places like Matalan or TK Maxx now where I know they are 100% legit.
  • macfly
    macfly Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    undies - there were dozens of sets of CK white mens unmentionables at a Manchester auction earlier in the year. Went for £2 plus charges. So half price would still make a good profit. Price is not an indicator of fake or not.
    As far as personal choice - designer clouts are not a personal choice. They are media and celebrity driven - you just fall for it.
  • undies
    undies Posts: 2 Newbie
    Calvin Klein are very picky about aspects of who and where their products are sold and how they are sold. Definitely not as picky as some brands but certainly where they are sold. They moan at me now and again for minor issues.

A low price is a good indicator for knowing if the product is genuine as it all originates from the same company. But of course if people are selling it at full RRP doesn't mean its genuine either.

There is wholesale pricing variations from each respective jurisdiction however this is marginal and usually encompasses the taxation of the state that the retailer resides.

You have to ask yourself if the price is low;

Why would Calvin Klein sell off all their excess stock (of current product lines) to anybody when they can easily sell it all off to their existing buyers at discounts, which they do who snap it up.

Calvin Klein take advance orders for all fashion lines from existing customers at trade events or at private buyers meetings. They make their products to the demand of the buyers. For example all Calvin Klein World Cup 2010 Underwear was made to order for the buyers and when that sold out, stock was unavailable. So how can it still be sold on eBay by loads of sellers who have all product variations for less than wholesale pricing in all sizes when specifically certain products were only available in certain sizes due to production issues.

Why would someone sell 6 pairs of Calvin Klein at the RRP of 1 pair. Then less their paypal fees, their eBay fees. Where would they make a profit especially after buying from someone else Calvin Klein has supplied to. Unless of course they are buying from the Chinese Manufactures that email me daily with their $1 counterfeits.
  • grintricha
    grintricha Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post
    macfly wrote: »

can you get some second hand off ebay?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport