heating grants with dependant on DLA?!?!?

2»

Comments

• Bungarm2001
    Bungarm2001 Posts: 686 Forumite
    My son was also told 9 months...and this was in October. It would have meant the whole winter without hot water and heating. One of his kids has asthma pretty bad too (it's my son with the major problem tho)

On someones advice, they phoned every day to check on how their case was progressing, and I don't know what happened but all I remember was my D.I.L. genuinely broke down once on the phone when speaking to someone, and lo and behold, they were put to the front of the list and the boiler was in just before Xmas.

It definitely pays to politely make a nuisance of yourself I think...but I do stress the word 'politely!' :)
  • No joy with any type of grant, as I earn over 15k/annum and a child who gets DLA isn't eligible criteria for a grant with warmfront they tell me. Go I'm off to spend money I haven't got on a boiler system! Still I can try and haggle with the local installers - getting three quotes and all that kinda stuff.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Do you get any council tax benefit. The reason I am asking is that we got turned down last year just over 15k with wftc/ctc but we applied for council tax and got a small amount which then got us the grant. At the time my daughter didnt get DLA
  • ineedcash
    ineedcash Posts: 50 Forumite
    i earn over 30k per year and our council still paid for a boiler and 3 radiators, also they paid for a walk in shower. because these items were needed for our son our income was never taken into account.
    speak to social services they may help
    [STRIKE]outstanding debts £39,000[/STRIKE] £0:j
  • titewad_2
    titewad_2 Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Post
    ineedcash wrote: »
    hi
    try speaking to your local council and social services as we have a son on middle rate DLA. we managed to get a boiler and 3 radiaters fitted paid for by the council and it was not based on our income but the childs income.
    also as we removed our bath to have a walk in shower fitted for our son (this was also paid for by the council )we had our council tax reduced from band b to band a for making the home adapted for a disabled person
    hope this helps a little

Can I ask if yours is a council house, or do the council actually pay for this work in private houses?
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You can get grants for adaptations to a house private or council if the person has a disability I believe and the adaptation could help them

If you have a disability and have difficulties managing in your home, it may be possible to reduce these problems by altering or adapting your home. An occupational therapist (OT) or someone from Social Services will visit your home to discuss your needs.
  • hi poppycat
    i work for warmfront, you do need to be in receipt of benefits and own or privatelyur home rent yo to qualify for the scheme, if you are a tenant there are conditions if wanting a boiler
    not sure of your circumstances but.if you are 60 or over there is a scheme called the rebate 300 , you get 300 off the cost of a repair or replacement of boiler providing the boiler is broken or has intermittant faults, the web site is www.warmfront.co.uk
    i hope this helps, if not you, then perhaps other guys who read this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport