City Financial Loan Brokers....SCAM or NOT ?

1161718192022»

Comments

• Just a word of warning that the much maligned company "City Financial Ltd" of Stockport has popped up with a new trading style "neptuneloans". They have very kindly relieved my wife of £75 today.

Alarm bells started to ring when I got home and saw their website, which is incredibly poorly worded, and is a cheap Wordpress template. As soon as I realised what had happened, we tried to call, but lo and behold there is no answer on the customer service number, and our account is "locked" by the shysters that process the "application".

We will, of course, send a recorded letter requesting that they do not act for us in any way and requesting a full refund. I note that they now have an FCA Interim Permission (Number 0658579) to offer consumer credit. I have already discussed the matter with the FCA Consumer Helpline, and they have suggested that City/Neptune may be in breach of the Financial Services (Distance Selling) Regulations 2004, specifically with regard to refunds. I would therefore urge all that have fallen victim to this to contact the FCA Consumer Helpline.
  • hi is this really a scam?
  • s-smith58 wrote: »
    hi is this really a scam?

I would suggest it's not a great way to get a loan at very least.
  • We have also been taken for £75 we are at a loss I don't have enough money to lose this there must be something someone can do?
    I asked for £2000 pounds and the said we have a lender, when we call we can't get through any advise would be greatly appreciated I am sending a letter to them tomorrow to asked to cancel and refund me my money, they told me that the money would be in my account by Friday (this was about 3 weeks ago,which was ok but now I haven't had enough money in my account so I will be getting lots of charges this company has a lot to answer for. I haven't paid my little boys swimming lessons so he has now lost his place there they help him with his poorly joints. It's all such a mess.
  • If you have lost money through the following company:

City Financial UK
    Unit 5, Milton Court
    Horsfield Way
    Bredbury Park Industrial Estate
    Bredbury
    Stockport
    SK6 2TD.
    Tel: 0161 4065914 or 0161 4065910

Please contact: Action Fraud Greater Manchester Police on 0300 123 2040 they will help you.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • jd260184
    jd260184 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 May 2015 at 1:54PM
    I can't believe some of the sarcastic comments on here. Some people should get off their high horse. Obviously people come to this site and others like it for help and advice, not to be belittled by someone.

I for one was scammed by this so called company around 2 years ago. Yes my credit rating was poor, not by any fault of my own. You can have a bad credit rating just by not having had any credit before, so don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I received a call from City Financial regarding an on-line application that I did. Yes they were very convincing. When you have been turned down by numerous other loan companies and banks its very easy to lose your common sense when someone at the other of the phone finally says 'yes you have a loan, its guaranteed'. At no point in the conversation on the phone did they explain that they were a credit broker. The £75 was for 'admin fees', which clearly I should have thought something was fishy but like I said previously, its easy to lose common sense when someone dangles a carrot in front of you. Anyway, it was only when I read through their T&C's that the penny dropped. I phoned them up relentlessly and finally got through to someone who was very rude and said that I wasn't entitled to my money back. I sent a letter (recorded deliver) explaining that I was never told they were a brokerage company and wanted a refund of my brokerage fee. I did get a cheque through the post around a week later, less the £5 admin fee.

Word of advice don't phone them. Its a waste of your time and money and will only fuel their tea time chit chat at your expense. Send a recorded letter with the date on, keep a copy for yourself, if you hear nothing back from them then get in touch with the financial ombudsman, these are very helpful and will take over everything for you.

Wish everyone all the luck in getting their money back from these scum bags. I still can't believe that its happening even now after two years or so ago when I was duped.**
    the owner of the company. I checked on the consumer credit register. did a quick Google search of him and he's had a few businesses which have either gone bust or shut down, just type in jonathan smith city financial and look at a website called company check. This is his alleged email address, which I'm sure some of you would like to leave him a little message?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I can't believe you've dragged up this old thread. The mods should close it.

For future information, there's not such thing as a universal credit rating.
  • For your information, I dragged up this old thread as I know it is still happening
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure