Average gas consumption

Options
I have just received my latest gas bill and doubt I have used as much gas as it states.

The etsimate for the meter is very accurate, so I am paying for what the meter reads, but is it correct?

There are two of us in the house, we have one combi boiler and one gas fire. The gas fire is hardly ever used.

During the winter months the boiler is on for seven hours per day.

My gas bill says I am using approximately 3000 kWh per month which equates to approximately £70. This seems to be very high.

British Gas say that I can have my meter tested for accuracy, but I will have to pay for the test if no fault is found. I therefore need some more information before I decide whether to have the meter tested.

1. Does anybody know of a web site that can give me average gas usage so I have an idea if this is correct?

2. I would be very interested to know what other peoples average consumption is. Are you using a similar amount of gas under simialr circumstances?

What is your average monthly gas bill 38 votes

Less than £30
15% 6 votes
£30-£50
31% 12 votes
£50-£70
10% 4 votes
£70-£90
26% 10 votes
£90-£110
5% 2 votes
Over £110
10% 4 votes

Comments

• shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are so many variables !

What is average ?

You give no info on number of rooms , size of rooms, ceiling height , loft and or cavity insulation levels if any .

Situation of property can make a differance, is it detached , semi, terraced , on a mountain top or in a city centre ?

Knowledge is power !

shammy
  • sleepy
    sleepy Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    There are 2 of us in our mid terrace house. We had our boiler on for about 5 hours a day over the winter but most of the radiators were turned down to half heat and those in empty rooms turned off. We don't have a as fire (and I believe that they use a lot of gas). Our bill was £156 for the last 3 months, so about £52 a month. We actually pay £40 a month on direct debit as that way the low summer usage and high winter usage even out, which obviously means that people who just post their d/d cost won't be comparible to your bill as that is just for the high winter usage.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Over winter months taking Dec-Jan as peak we used over 3000kwh that month

April to July last year we averaged 500kwh per month

Isolating your figures by month is inflexible and innacurate, your bills will already be lowering now and bottom out in the summer, you need a yearly average not month by month from a couple of readings
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    3 bd link detached, lge diner, kit and util room. 2 pensioner occupants. Gas 18500 kWh annually. Elec 3700kWh.
  • mikemoate
    mikemoate Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    4 of us and cat and dog. Mid terrace, three storey, 4 bedrooms. Gas ch, gas cooker, american fridge freezer, dishwasher and washing machine, 4 computers, 3 tv's, dvd and vcr, Sky, wife obsessed with vacuuming. 2 bathrooms, 2 electric showers (very clean wife and 2 teenagers). I work from home so not as clean as wife and kids!! Gas 23,000kwh elec 6,000kwh both per annum.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport