Unwanted Mail Advising Big Money Win

My elderly mother is on the receiving end of some of these - one from the "International Lottery Board" - "Loteria Primitiva" - claiming that she has won more than 815,000 euros. The postmark for this is Malaga, and the letter quite clearly states that she should keep the award information "strictly from public notice" - in other words don't tell a soul! It asks for bank details to be filled in and returned to the International Subscribers Agency, Mapfre Security & Finance Co SL.

The other is from the "Unclaimed Prize Register, PO Box 78, Ross-on-Wye, Hertfordshire, HR9 9ZU" - requesting the person who has won one of several prizes to phone a line which charges £1.50 per minute.

My mother may be elderly, but she is by no means dim, and realises that she has not won anything.

I have just registered her address with the mailing preference service, but my question is - surely there is someone or a body of people who investigate these false win scams?

I would like to report these scams to the relevant body of people, so if anyone out there knows where that is, it would be appreciated.

Comments

• AndysDad
    AndysDad Posts: 694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My elderly mother gets these all the time.I think the more you ignore them the better it will get as if you do contact them then they will sell your info on to other companies anyway.I think its the same with all the charities ,once you give to one it seem it opens the floodgates to the other charities.With all th news lately on the amount of money they have sitting in banks I ask myself why do they need more money.The Cats Protection League have (or had) £11 millon sitting in their Icelandic account !:eek: .By the way I think the MPS only deal with british companies.
  • Many thanks for your response, and as far as I am aware my mother has not responded to any of them.

However, I would still like to report these people so if anyone has any ideas, your help would be appreciated.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    Not quite sure why anyone would think these come from charities - they're from lowlife scam factories. Just received an Email earlier today advising I have won a Category B prize of just above a quarter million Euros in a sweepstake run by Microsoft! Apparently they're trying to encourage use of Emails?

You can report direct to your local Trading Standards ...... or via the online link with Consumer Direct :

https://secure.consumerdirect.gov.uk/reportascam.aspx

- look at some of the examples on that site - also here :-

http://www.safefromscams.co.uk/FakeLotteryScam.html
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Loobeylou
    Loobeylou Posts: 901 Forumite
    Many thanks Mikeyorks - I have reported both scams to Consumer Direct.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    I had a further one direct from the Director of the FBI today!

Advising me that consequent upon extra efforts arising from the current economic turmoil they have recovered $900M from 'scamers' (!!). And my Email address has been found among the data. So would I please complete a claim direct to them giving all my details?

Strange I'm losing all this money that I'm totally unaware of:rolleyes: . They don't miss a trick do they - shame the English / spelling is totally 'naff.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • I used to get tons of this 'you have won...' scam mail and loads of bogus charity mail. As AndysDad says if you ever contact any of them in any way you will forever get tons of the stuff. Just bin it and after a couple of years they will realise they are wasting their time and will stop sending it.
  • Loobeylou
    Loobeylou Posts: 901 Forumite
    The problem with ignoring this kind of junk mail is that for every ten or twenty or however many letters they send out, they will get one person who is gullible enough to respond, who may send them money. When you consider how many letters they will be sending out its potentially a lot of money return, and is the reason why they do it.

That's why they need reporting, and hopefully they will be stopped.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure