PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What 'dry' weight per portion for rice and pasta?

I'm intending to do quite a bit of batch cooking tonight involving pasta and rice dishes. Usually I guess the amounts and put the remainder in the fridge for lunch the next day :)

However, I want to make 6 portions of pasta and 4 portions of rice - how can I measure it to make sure I get the correct portion sizes? I've no idea what the weight pre-cooked should be!

Thanks in advance!
We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Portion of pasta for one would usually be about 75g. I usually use 125g for two of us, and use more veg in the sauce. If we are very hungry cos we've been out for a walk then we'll have 100g each.
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Thanks very much.

If anybody can tell me what the rice weight should be I would be very grateful. I'm off in 10 minutes so don't worry if it's after 3pm I'll have to guess again!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    For rice I use 1/3 of a mugful. This for me is a medium portion and would need a naan bread to go with it

For pasta I use roughly 1/3 of a bag (about 170g! Clearly I'm a big eater even though I cant hit 10st!)
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    I've always worked on the basis of half a cup of raw rice per person and cooked it in twice as much water (or a bit more if brown or basmati).
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I use my BM cup for measuring rice, which is roughly 250ml (around the same size as an American measuring cup) and use a full cupful for two people, which gives quite generous portions. I'm crap at guestimating pasta though and always cook f-a-r too much as it never seems to look enough when you put it in the pan :rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    CQ, I find it helps to pour it onto the plate - although each bit will swell up a bit you can judge it by plate coverage (I use the helical tubes, amori at waitrose) as the swelling is mostly in the wall thickness not the size of each piece. If you see what I mean?

OR say 75g per person x 4 (for example) is 300g or 3/5 of a bag. Easy eh?
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i always put the raw stuff on the plate, then get caught out with spaghetti!! my garndmother used to have a measurer for it, a wooden thing with various sized holes - i tend to overestimate then eat it all myself anyway!
    :happyhear
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I always cook too much pasta for the two of us, not so much rice as my husband normally finishes all of that off!

Can someone please tell me what the dry weight of pasta should be per person?

I normally cook a cup of rice for two of us but he gets about 2 thirds of that.

:)
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I usually find if its just a plain tomato sauce with it use 100g each that will give you loads, if there's meat and or veg in with it (say a pasta bake) then use about 75g
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    sb44 wrote: »
    I always cook too much pasta for the two of us, not so much rice as my husband normally finishes all of that off!

Can someone please tell me what the dry weight of pasta should be per person?

I normally cook a cup of rice for two of us but he gets about 2 thirds of that.

:)

You will have to find out what works for you - I did it by trial and error, using electronic scales. Started from the usual 100g per person which seems to be the norm. This was too much, we always had leftovers. Now I know that 150g for the 2 of us is exactly right. DH eats more of it than I do, but the total is correct. 150g dry weight also works for us for couscous.
    The one I have not figured out yet in weight is potatoes!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure