IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC - Gallagher Retail Park, Dundee

Hi,
Just looking for the most up-to-date advice on this, appreciate any feedback.
Parking charge notice on windscreen this weekend whilst parked at Gallagher Retail Park, Dundee. Apparently there are signs (not immediately visable by any means) stating free parking for 2hrs as long as you display a ‘free’ parking ticket. Car was parked for approx. 1hr, upon return the applied charge notice states £60.00 payable within 14 days or it starts going up. Should we ignore this and any further correspondance? BTW it wasn’t the registered keeper driving. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The most up to date advice for Scotland is unchanged - Just ignore the predators and all the threats they will send you, under various guises.

Some chancers have even gone as far as conning English courts into issuing papers against Scottish victims by neglecting to mention you are north of the border. This will be struck down as soon as you inform them of the fact. Although your chances of going even this far are very slim indeed. :)
  • How did you get on with your ticket? I just got one today. Was there for 15 mins n the swines got me.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    No they did NOT get you. They applied an unenforceable speculative invoice to your vehicle, that you simply ignore. (As long as your car is not a lease or company car - i.e. you, or a related person, is the registered keeper). Keep copies of all correspondence, but DO NOT respond to them in any way. They (or rather their debt recovery agents) will claim court action is impending - this is utter bull, as UKPC have not taken anyone to court* within the past year, and certainly not in Scotland.

THIS ADVICE APPLIES ONLY FOR SCOTLAND AND NORTHERN IRELAND!

*They have been to court, but only when other people have taken THEM to court (and won).
  • Hello, I got an 'invoice' whilst at the Gallagher retail park and appealed it before reading anything online. They have since got back to me today saying my appeal was rejected so I have since gone online and read up about it. I stated in my appeal I was feeding my 4month old in mothercare (although I was actually at debenhams but car park attendant told me to say mothercare)and included my name on it, I was driving but not the registered keeper of the car. Can I still ignore it even now they have my name? Really do not want to be spending £60 when I could spend it on my little girl!
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    They would need to take you to court for it - they won't. UKPC don't do court and certainly not in Scotland. All you'll get is a series of threatograms (some in CAPITALS and WITH RED INK, but all utterly toothless)

If they have a mental aberration and decide to do so, you would come back here for help with your defence.

Tell you what .. if they DO take you to court, you come here for help with your defence, and actually lose, I'll pay judgement for you.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 February 2014 at 11:23PM
    Hello, I got an 'invoice' whilst at the Gallagher retail park and appealed it before reading anything online. They have since got back to me today saying my appeal was rejected so I have since gone online and read up about it. I stated in my appeal I was feeding my 4month old in mothercare (although I was actually at debenhams but car park attendant told me to say mothercare)and included my name on it, I was driving but not the registered keeper of the car. Can I still ignore it even now they have my name? Really do not want to be spending £60 when I could spend it on my little girl!

Complain to the Store manager of both stores, and the Centre manager (Google the retail park). Tell them the PPC is breaching the Equality Act 2010 on breastfeeding issues, and cannot charge you for the time taken as that would be unlawful. Point out that the PPC is their agent and you would prefer it if they call their dogs off or you will collect all the letters and consider suing all parties for compensatory damages for harassment and EA breach.

In Scotland it is actually illegal to 'stop' a mother from feeding milk to her baby (even from a bottle). A sign deterring overstays has the potential to be viewed as illegal then, if challenged by someone like you in a car park which includes stores with plenty of baby equipment and feeding facilities. Clearly mothers and babies WILL be among the customers at this site so you can ask the Centre Manager what steps they have taken to avoid indirect discrimination under the EA?! None? Oh dear...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hi folks, my mother in law also received one of these tickets a few weeks back and we had the appeal rejected.
    She has just received another letter today offering a reduced payment.

We spoke to matalan last week where she shopped on the day in question and they said they would assist another appeal if we produced receipts of the purchases made on the day which we still have.

Can anyone advise the best move next?

I realise i should have came here 1st before the appeal, however, now that we have appealed, does this make a difference or should we just ignore anything from now on?

Should we return to matalan for their help in another appeal?

Thanks for any advice.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes return to Matalan - show them your receipts - don't leave without them - they could take photocopies if they wish of course.

Hopefully they will cancel this, and you 'll get no more letters.

But either way you are not going to pay a penny.

Ignore all further other correspondence from the parking company.

The only thing you don't ignore is genuine court papers - and the chancesof that arriving is infinitesimal small - you have a much better chance of winning the lottery or getting a free ticket from Richard Branson to be a passenger on his rocket ship to the moon.
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    Yes return to Matalan - show them your receipts - don't leave without them - they could take photocopies if they wish of course.

Hopefully they will cancel this, and you 'll get no more letters.

But either way you are not going to pay a penny.

Ignore all further other correspondence from the parking company.

The only thing you don't ignore is genuine court papers - and the chancesof that arriving is infinitesimal small - you have a much better chance of winning the lottery or getting a free ticket from Richard Branson to be a passenger on his rocket ship to the moon.

Many thanks for the reply.

We will pop down tomorrow
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 February 2014 at 11:24PM
    Why did you (seemingly, if you are in England/Wales) ignore the POPLA code in the rejection letter?! That was your GOLDEN TICKET, your chance to win if still in date! See the NEWBIES thread, second to top which you should have read first - tells you how to win at POPLA and how to check the date of your POPLA code.

If you have any other queries you need to start your own thread please as this is nordwand's thread and each case has to be separate due to facts/dates differing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure