New secret hotel site launches in UK

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    What if I have special room/bed requests?

If you have specific needs (e.g., number or type of beds), please contact the property directly after booking. While we cannot guarantee that they will be able to accommodate your request, our partners will do their best to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

So if the room MUST have a twin room then you won't be able to guarantee that...unless the hotel has only twin rooms.

http://www.hotwire.com/uk/help#topic3
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2011 at 7:06AM
    Most hotel search engines will deliver the same prices as Hotwire, or lower ones.

Skyscanner's hotel search engine is a good place to start, as it compares prices on various booking sites:

http://hotels.skyscanner.net/?languageCode=EN&pageIndex=0

Search using Skyscanner, close your browser, then go to your chosen hotel booking site VIA QUIDCO.

If you use Hotwire, don't forget Quidco, because you will get another 8% back.

Similar Quidco is available from most hotel booking sites.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • I didn't know Skyscanner had a hotel search - thanks for that. Still, it didn't come up cheaper than Hotwire. Not being able to guarantee a certain type of room was a deal breaker for me. I'd rather pay the extra to be sure.

Still, glad I found Hotwire. In combination with betterbidding.com it looks like you can find some bargains. I'll keep it in mind for my next trip.
  • Discovered hotwire only today exists. At the last minute, I have had to book a hotel in downtown vancouver for one night when I fly in. As the reason why I have to stay here is not great, I decided to treat myself to a bit of luxury. I tried to discover the identity of the hotel but couldn't figure it out, I thought it was the 4 Seasons and thought the reviews are ok but I'm happy with it.

The mystery hotel price was £113 (I went through quidco and got 10% cashback as well), so total cost will be £101.07- bargain.

Low and behold my hotel was actually the Pan Pacific! On Last Minute this hotel is £175, on their own website it was $279 CA, so this was a true bargain, can't wait until next week now!! :rotfl:
  • Looking for a hotel in Houston at the Galleria found 4* on Hotwire secret hotels for £50 a night INCL taxes. Went to the betterbidding site where someone thought it would be the WestinOaks ( which I really like ). Went ahead and tried it and yes it is the Westin Oaks. Great price at £400 for 8 nights in October. Less than what I won it for on Priceline last year. Betterbidding is an excellent site for checking things out
    travelover
  • FizzerUK
    FizzerUK Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was searching all over for a cheap hotel in London. So me and the GF could sightsee.
    Only found £40-£50 dumps, nearest was Zone 6 so travelling in would cost £15+ quid along with the hassle of getting to the tube.

Managed to book 5 nights for £330 (£66 a night) including Taxes at the Hilton, Canary Wharf.

I think it's a bargain.. :)
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Well done.

Pl remember that Canary Wharf is primarily a business district - but it's really not far, by public transport, into Central London for sightseeing, etc.

Nearest station to the Hilton is in fact South Quay (rather than Canary Wharf). Jump on the train one stop to Canary Wharf and change for a train to Tower Gateway and you're at the Tower of London in less than twenty minutes.

From the Tower, take a bus 15 for a scenic trip through the City into Trafalgar Square via all the landmarks. Alternatively, you can get the commuter ferry (Thames Clipper) from Canary Wharf direct to Embankment. It costs about a fiver but is a scenic, if not particularly speedy, journey into town.

Evenings - West India Quay is closeby where you're staying and has a range of reasonably priced restaurants and bars if you don't fancy heading into town every night.

London is fantastic - just make sure you go with an idea of what you want to do before you go, otherwise you may end up wandering around rather aimlessly in some of the less inspiring parts!

(If you'll be there over the weekend please note that the City (square mile) and Canary Wharf are quiet over these periods - in the City, for example, many pubs do not open on Saturday/Sunday. Don't confuse "the City" with "London" - there is plenty to do in London on the weekend, just not in the specific City!)
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • Kito
    Kito Posts: 1 Newbie
    Has Hotwire developed a counter strategy to the gaming strategies described on this site?

I just tried the technique of cross referencing the details of the blind hotel with those on the 'standard rate' section of the site. The original (crossed out) price, star rating and location were IDENTICAL one of the standard rate hotels. As well as this the basic description of facilities and Tripadvisor score/number of ratings corresponded. Based on this I went ahead and booked only to find out that the gamble had not paid off and the secret hotel was not the one I had hoped it was.

Now I understand that this is an unexact science and gambles don't always pay off, also that I have got a good deal on the hotel we've ended up with, but a couple of things are bothering me.

The fact that the quoted original price was EXACTLY the same as one of their standard priced hotels with the same details. Having looked a little closer I see that their disclaimer states that the crossed out price is a: "median published rate we've found on leading retail travel sites in the last 24-48 hours for the same neighborhood, star rating, and stay dates.".

Should I believe that some algorithm just happened to throw up this convenient number or were they being very crafty? Any thoughts or advice would be received with interest!
  • kforshaw
    kforshaw Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I managed to book the Hotel Clybaun, Galway as a secret hotel on Hotwire in early January for £44 for a short stay in late February for a sponsored skinny dip I attended.
    (The same description/ hotel the day after was £38 so kicked myself for that!)
    At the time, the same room was £89 on the website. I was more than pleased with the saving.
    2 Tickets to Blackrock Masters Tennis:j
  • Cheers for the advice on Hotwire Uk. Just got 3 nights in the Westin Book Cadillac, Detroit for £233. Best price on any comparison site was £435. Result...:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure