Is vinegar OK to remove limescale from plastic shower head?

Would prefer to use vinegar as I would imagine it would be easier at removing limescale from a plastic shower head.

Do you just pour it neat and leave it to soak over night? How long then?

A shower engineer said not to use vinegar but to use "Viakal Lime To Shine 500ml". I would prefer to use vinegar because it is more natural and less harmful to skin, environment and also if my son drinks a bottle of vinegar nothing bad would happen to him.

I can't get into the shower head and scrub off the limescale so I am hoping that soaking it would dissolve the it off.
“…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"

Comments

• HappySad wrote:
    Would prefer to use vinegar as I would imagine it would be easier at removing limescale from a plastic shower head.

Do you just pour it neat and leave it to soak over night? How long then?

A shower engineer said not to use vinegar but to use "Viakal Lime To Shine 500ml". I would prefer to use vinegar because it is more natural and less harmful to skin, environment and also if my son drinks a bottle of vinegar nothing bad would happen to him.

I can't get into the shower head and scrub off the limescale so I am hoping that soaking it would dissolve the it off.

Soaking it overnight in white vinegar should remove the limescale and will not harm the plastic.

If you get limescale on the bath / basin taps, put white vinegar on cotton wool and wrap around the taps using cling film and an elastic band, leave overnight and brush, repeat if neccessary. It works a treat and is far cheaper than buying Viakal or similar also usually as effective.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can and the wisdom to know it's me"
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    new shower heads can be got for about £3
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    roswell wrote:
    new shower heads can be got for about £3

Will be using the vinegar method but I am also interested where you can get shower heads for £3. Are they all standard fitting to screw into all showers?
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

• HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Soaking it overnight in white vinegar should remove the limescale and will not harm the plastic.

If you get limescale on the bath / basin taps, put white vinegar on cotton wool and wrap around the taps using cling film and an elastic band, leave overnight and brush, repeat if neccessary. It works a treat and is far cheaper than buying Viakal or similar also usually as effective.

Would Matt Vinegar work? Got a whole load of this from Netto.

• roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    HappySad wrote:
    Will be using the vinegar method but I am also interested where you can get shower heads for £3. Are they all standard fitting to screw into all showers?

home bargain / wilkinsons and i have even seen them in the occasional £1 shop and ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHROME-SHOWER-HEAD-WITH-1-2M-HOSE-AND-HOLDER_W0QQitemZ270083617778QQihZ017QQcategoryZ71282QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270083617778
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, malt vinegar's fine, always use it .
  • Malt vinegar can also be used to descale your kettle! Lidl often have shower heads going cheap!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • Vinegar is great for descaling, BUT don't leave it on too long as I found out to my cost on some fairly new taps...I had removed the taps when I had a new bath fitted and soaked them in vinegar overnight. The chrome coating (or whatever is was) came away! :eek:

Result - new taps! :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport