Car Insurance: Do I Have To Declare All My Points

Comments

• Hey_Dude
    Hey_Dude Posts: 1,786
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    rejory wrote: »
    I had been getting my car insurance updated automatically by direct debit and had not updated my fixed penalty points with my insurers.
    When I attemted to make them aware they said I then owed them 987 pounds backdated for the last three years plus next year's premium of 755 pounds (up from 260).
    I said of course I was unable to pay this and wish to cancel my insurance. They said I would still owe the 987 pounds.
    I spoke to a manager who said he would see what he could do and would call me back. Of course he hasn't and I'm now wondering what course of action I can take?

Were the points also from 3 years ago?

Dude
  • Unfortunately yes!
    2004 and 2005.
  • huski
    huski Posts: 9 Forumite
    Let me refresh this topic as I find it very useful :D. I wanted to ask, when do I have to declare the points earned for speeding? Let's say that I took insurance in September 2010, in December 2010 I earned 3 points for speeding. In February 2011, I had wee scrape with other driver's car suffering some small damage (mainly paintwork, maybe tiny tiny dent). Am I running a risk of my policy being invalidated because of the 3 points that I earned few months ago? I was sincerely convinced that I'm only obliged to disclose all the points/convictions if I want to renew the policy.
    Regards
    Huski
  • gregd_3
    gregd_3 Posts: 114 Forumite
    From my experience you need to disclose at renewal only but it depends what it says in policy under general conditions.
  • Again, thanks for your helpful answer :D I'm thinking the same, just got a little bit hyper after reading dozens of threads on policies being void due to some minor omissions and inconsistencies.
    Regards
    Huski
  • even if it was 5 years both these would be out of date as the last was 2005.

I would send the licence in and have them removed as they no longer count
  • Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 you are required to disclose all convictions for which a fine was imposed for five years after the conviction, regardless of whether the points have been removed from your license for totting-up purposes.

So you must disclose them both.

WHY 5 years after 2005 is 2010 ?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    WHY 5 years after 2005 is 2010 ?

That's what I first thought.
    But it was posted in 2007 and someone has resurrected an old thread (perhaps after doing a search), so the advice was correct at the time.
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    someone has resurrected an old thread (perhaps after doing a search)
    It was me :) There is more up date id:41608688 Sorry for making the mess.
    Regards
    Huski
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As others have said, you should be guided by the time period stipulated by the insurance company.
    The period for declaration of points and also accident claims varies from company to company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure