Best Place to Buy Euros

Comments

• it's because it's a money advance transaction or something. if you feel the need to purchase like this again you'll have to use the cashpoint or change banks
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • foz2000
    foz2000 Posts: 50 Forumite
    vyvwalters wrote:
    I got referred by a mate to crown currency exchange back in February, I ordered about £552 for collection in June ready for the hols and got Euros 1.4756 per £.

I ordered a further £150 yesterday and got a rate of 1.4306 per £.
    No commission so I think it's a good deal and thats what this site is about, getting value for money.
    https://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com they are based in Cornwall. Good Luck;)

I never use anyone else, the $ is 1.91 if u book now for jan 07!
  • pin
    Forumite
    foz2000 wrote:
    I never use anyone else, the $ is 1.91 if u book now for jan 07!

But you are basically hedging on the currency going up or down. For all we know by Jan 07 the £ may be even higher than $1.91 and then you would have lost out. Also you are giving up money you can use / save now to US$ which you won't be able to touch until Jan 07.
  • vyvwalters wrote:
    I got referred by a mate to crown currency exchange back in February, I ordered about £552 for collection in June ready for the hols and got Euros 1.4756 per £.

I ordered a further £150 yesterday and got a rate of 1.4306 per £.
    No commission so I think it's a good deal and thats what this site is about, getting value for money.
    https://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com they are based in Cornwall. Good Luck;)

Looked on this site today and it still offers the best rate. the rate is 1.4145. I am not going on holiday til july 31st. would it be best to wait until nearer the time to get my money, or take advantage of the higher rate of 1.4253 to have it delivered at that time.
  • foz2000
    foz2000 Posts: 50 Forumite
    pin wrote:
    But you are basically hedging on the currency going up or down. For all we know by Jan 07 the £ may be even higher than $1.91 and then you would have lost out. Also you are giving up money you can use / save now to US$ which you won't be able to touch until Jan 07.

Maybe but what would i use the £1000 to earn more money on? (i am a bit thick)

let me know thanks!
  • pin
    Forumite
    foz2000 wrote:
    Maybe but what would i use the £1000 to earn more money on? (i am a bit thick)

let me know thanks!

I don't have time to do the maths for you, but search the forums and you will find loads of info about savings accounts, etc where that £1k coud easily sit earning interest for six months.
  • Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Tobys_mummy I would take the rate that it is today and get it delivered up to one week before you go. Its a good rate and they are both a reputable firm and provide very competitive offers. I asked for delivery around the beginning of June and hey presto courier delivered on the 1st June as promised. Many folks order it as I do but from the current thread get lower rates; thereby lands you your answer. Its all about getting the best deal for the man/woman on the day :beer: ;)
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
  • tobys_mummy_2
    tobys_mummy_2 Posts: 252 Forumite
    thomas global exchange offered me a better rate of 1.43 euros, so i might go with them instead.
  • pbright
    pbright Posts: 634 Forumite
    Wheres best on the high street for euros....thomas cook, M&S etc?????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure