Best Place to Buy Euros

Comments

• Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for that, didn't know! Do you know if that is likely to be the same throughout europe? Am going to Paris shortly and was about to stock up with Euros before I go. Thanks.:j :T

Nationwide dont charge any currency conversion on cash withdrawals and their's are visa debit cards so any visa logoed atm will be fine.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• and remember to pick that you want billing in euros not gbp at the cashpoint..it can be quite confusing
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Just one word of caution. If you do use an ATM abroad make sure you make an account of the money that you actually took out.

When i was in Shanghai i used several ATM's there that did not work; they told me there was an 'error connecting to server' and such messages. But then on my return to the UK i found that those times when i was unable to withdraw money that it was still taken out of my account.
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
  • scooper
    scooper Posts: 986 Forumite
    so marks and spencer is the best place for exchanging euros,but by how much compared to the post office,say if i was changing £100?
    appreciate what you have got x
  • hammy_the_hammer
    hammy_the_hammer Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    scooper wrote:
    so marks and spencer is the best place for exchanging euros,but by how much compared to the post office,say if i was changing £100?

if you are just changing £100 you have to factor in petrol , shoe leather and length of queue in each place
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    On friday I spent £603 which got me 860 euros which the rate was just under 1.43 and on my receipt it said I got a £33 discount on the exchange as they were only offering 1.35 in the shop (Thomas Cook)
  • hammy_the_hammer
    but no one surely would buy euros at a rate of 1.35 to the pound last week.
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    but no one surely would buy euros at a rate of 1.35 to the pound last week.

Two people in front of me in the shop actually took the euros at 1.35 and one of the people paid with a credit card which i think is pointless as they charge 2% so you are losing money paying that way.

I decided to listen to the rate in case they got a better one than me as I wanted to get the rate at the highest as possible
  • hammy_the_hammer
    there be mugs in the world then !!!!!!!!! frightening or rich !
  • Wish29
    Wish29 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I went to the Post Office where they had a good stock of Euros, used my LloydsTSB card to pay for them at a better rate than LLoyds were offering and got stung for a £4.50 charge by Lloyds for buying currency on a debit card. If I had gone to a cashpoint and withdrawn the cash to buy the Euros Lloyds wouldn't have charged me £ 4.50. What right have LLoyds got to charge me for buying something with my money- would they charge me the same if I paid for my car tax at the Post Office using a debit card?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure