dewalt or makita cordless , whats the best make to buy?

2»

Comments

• leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Out of the Dewalt drill you highlighted at the beginning of your post and this one,personally I would go for the Makita.They are both 1.3 amp hr, 18 volt.
    Would be best if you could get a lithium Ion drill but out of the 2 go for Makita......
  • stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    thanks for replying, right i go for the makita then... thanks everyone.
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
  • stolt
    just about to order from screwfix when i stumbled across this deal. for a few quid more i got a makita drill bit set aswell.

http://www.buyaparcel.com/pageview.php?page=show_product&ecommerce_stockcode=8390DWPE
  • cowbutt
    cowbutt Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Alternatively, for 1/3 the price of either of those drills, Maplin are selling a 24V drill/driver with 2 1200mAh NiCd battery packs for £34.99; last day tomorrow - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221014

Maybe the motor, clutch or chuck won't last as long, but it's hard to argue with the price. Some other places are still selling the same model for £70. I picked one up on Friday and used it to loosen some rusted screws and drill a couple of pilot holes into a kitchen cabinet and it seems OK so far.
  • Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I use the Dewalt XRP range - my brother in law who works in fireservice say they use those. Not had problem with anything so far. Although I think a newer range has replaced this now.
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • heretohelp
    heretohelp Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just seen this post and if you havent already ordered it get the dewalt drill, two lads from work got the makita drill about 6 months ago and its already starting to go (whining grating sound)
  • stolt
    heretohelp wrote: »
    just seen this post and if you havent already ordered it get the dewalt drill, two lads from work got the makita drill about 6 months ago and its already starting to go (whining grating sound)

ahh already ordered the makita's now. Oh well i see how it goes funnily i was taking to famiy members today and neither could agree on the two makes!!
  • I own DeWalt and Makita. Top of the line both of them.
    I went to get both repaired DeWalt charges $20.00 just to look at it.
    Makita is free to tell you the proplem.
    The Makita is a much better tool any way.
    Bye Bye DeWalt
    I gave the DeWalt away.
  • timmmers
    timmmers Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I own DeWalt and Makita. Top of the line both of them.
    I went to get both repaired DeWalt charges $20.00 just to look at it.
    Makita is free to tell you the proplem.
    The Makita is a much better tool any way.
    Bye Bye DeWalt
    I gave the DeWalt away.

I worked at a tool hire shop once....we gradually changed all we could to Makita because they worked reliably for longer at the same price level.

IF you were to spend a lot of money you'd possibly get a Dewalt that's great, but apparently they gained their rep for quality when made 100% in the USA ...which they weren't anymore last I know of.

Cheap tools are a massive mistake always though...get the best you can and the quallity will be remmembered long after the price is forgotten.

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ive had a Makita 9.6 v drill for the last 18 years I bought it as an apprentice, other than a few new batteries, ive now got a 18v lxt as well and that drill out performs the dewalt same with my old trusty 18v mxt.
    Good place to look for tool deals is http://www.itslondon.co.uk/ ive used them a few times and their deals have been better than anywhere I could find on the net even screwfix.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport