RBS Competency Based Interview - HELP!

I've got a face to face interview for a Sales Advisor at Royal Bank of Scotland call centre. I passed the online questionnaire and telephone interview but now have a competency based interview and wondered if anyone had been through this process before? It seems they ask a few questions and you have to give a personal experience in each answer , plus practical exercises etc... I hate the face I have no idea what they'll ask me.

Thanks!

Comments

• Bobby2
    Bobby2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    fs-recruitment.co.uk/.../FSR%20Competency%20Based%20Interviews.pdf

(Copy and paste into your browser)

This link should give you some guidelines. The key thing to remember in competency based interviews is that you need to talk about WHAT you did - so it is "I" rather than "we".

Good luck!
  • DazzaMc wrote: »
    I've got a face to face interview for a Sales Advisor at Royal Bank of Scotland call centre. I passed the online questionnaire and telephone interview but now have a competency based interview and wondered if anyone had been through this process before? It seems they ask a few questions and you have to give a personal experience in each answer , plus practical exercises etc... I hate the face I have no idea what they'll ask me.

Thanks!

Sorry, this is going to be a quickie, as I'm on my way out.

I've done a very similar role myself. A fw years ago, I moved from a shop role, to a call-centre role with a major bank.

The questions will be mostly around sales and customer service. You'll need to use specific examples of times when you've hit targets, time when you've failed to hit targets (and steps you taken to recifty your shortfalls), times when you've delivered excellent customer service, and times when you've motivated yourself and others (or struggled to do so...with an example of how you rectified the problem).

For example:

"Tell me about a time when you've delivered excellent customer service..."

I generally use an example of when a customer (who wasn't quite "all there", though I stated that as politely as I could!), left some expensive purchases behind when she'd visited my shop (in my former job role). I looked up her name in the phonebook, gave her a call, and managed to personally deliver the items to her door on my way home from work that day.

"Tell me about a time when sales have suffered, or you have struggled to hit targets, what did you do to rectify this, etc."

I gave the example of one particularly awful week in which shop takings had gone really low (it was the week the recession was officially announced). I stated that I took some samples of our product (we were a food retailer) out onto the street, for passers-by to sample. That's a true story...only problem is, people generally tasted the samples, and didn't actually buy, but I didn't tell the interviewer that ;)

"Tell me about a time when you've had to explain something difficult to a customer"
    (this does happen in call-centre based banking roles...a lot!)

I used the example of an elderly lady who used to frequent our shop, and would become extremely confused, e.g. trying to buy 20 of the same item (true story!), with very little money in her purse. Again, she wasn't "all there". I explained to the interviewer that I dealt with her patiently and compassionately, and explained to her on numerous occasions that she does not have the money for the particular products, questioned whether or not she actually required such large quantities of perishable food items (she didn't), and suggested alternative products that she could afford, and would keep better without going mouldy, etc.

You're also likely to do a role play scenario in which you make/take a customer call. Again, politeness, clarity and customer service is key. If it's a sales-oriented roleplay, don't be disheartened if you don't "sell" the imaginary product (which could be an actual banking product, or something totally unrelated to banking), as this doesn't necessarily mean you've failed the interview.

Sales will be a major part of the interview, with customer service coming in a close second, but they'll still look at the overall bigger picture of you, your experience, and your personality.

Try to be bright, chirpy, enthusiastic, and well-dressed :)
    £1 / 50p 2011 holiday flight + hotel expenses = £98.50600

HSBC 8% 12mth regular savings = £80 out of a maximum remaining allowance of £2500

"3 months' salary" reserve = £00 / £3600 :eek:
  • DazzaMc
    DazzaMc Posts: 811
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm struggling to think of examples for any of those :( I have plenty of customer service experience - I worked for morrisons for 5 years - 3 as a checkout assistant and 2 in admin but I left in 2008 and my memory is hazy of specific experiences :( I just think I'm gonna make a fool of myself tomorrow . For the last year I've been teaching piano and keyboard so was planning on using that for some of the potential questions . I'm dreading it!
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    I think I used to do the job you're applying for :) Which centre will you be in?

I would say the interview is OK, I said loads of times 'Just give me a moment to think about that' and I got a call the same day saying I'd got the job.

You just need to sit down and have a LONG think, I also wrote down examples I wanted to use in word so I'd remember them. :)
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• DazzaMc wrote: »
    I'm struggling to think of examples for any of those :( I have plenty of customer service experience - I worked for morrisons for 5 years - 3 as a checkout assistant and 2 in admin but I left in 2008 and my memory is hazy of specific experiences :( I just think I'm gonna make a fool of myself tomorrow . For the last year I've been teaching piano and keyboard so was planning on using that for some of the potential questions . I'm dreading it!

You must've had some experience of dealing with difficult customers, or difficult/stressful situations...or some kind of motivational issues? If you're really struggling to remember, think of some 'typical' scenarios you could use (keep them realistic!).

What form of calling is it? Inbound or outbound? That'd make a bit of a difference in regards to the motivational aspects of the job, as well as the sales culture.

Inbound = heavier focus on customer-service (but still keep a strong 'sales' head on your shoulders), complaints handling, and complex situations

Outbound = Stress times when you've been proactive, challenging, etc.
    £1 / 50p 2011 holiday flight + hotel expenses = £98.50600

HSBC 8% 12mth regular savings = £80 out of a maximum remaining allowance of £2500

"3 months' salary" reserve = £00 / £3600 :eek:
  • Kavanne
    If it's the job I think it'll be mostly inbound but some outbound at customer request. But I could be wrong :)
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

• DazzaMc
    Forumite
    It's inbound. And it's the one in Doncaster. I had to think of one example in the telephone interview and it took me a while to think of one and the guy helped me a lot. He said I had a good chance based on passing that interview but I'm feeling negative about it :s
  • Kavanne
    What will you be selling? Insurance?
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

• DazzaMc
    Forumite
    Sorry, yeah it's Tesco motor insurance
  • Good luck mate, hope you get the job.