Free Download - The Unofficial Guide To Facebook Privacy

crazyterrier2000
crazyterrier2000 Posts: 4,751 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 11 January 2011 at 2:11PM in Freebies (no spend required)
Like Facebook, but wish your information wasn’t so public? Time to lock your settings down. Facebook doesn’t make this easy, however; features are constantly added and the default for each new one seems to favor transparency instead of privacy.
The result: there are hundreds of little changes you need to make to truly control where your information goes.

Enter “The (Very) Unofficial Facebook Privacy Manual”. This handy guide outlines everything you could ever want to know about locking down your privacy on Facebook, and a few things you probably didn’t even know you wanted to know.

This guide outlines a variety of things regarding Facebook privacy, including:
  • Making sure a comment meant for your friends isn’t seen by co-workers
  • Understanding what it means to upload content to Facebook
  • Control whether others can check you in to certain locations
  • Keeping your Facebook page off Google’s search results
  • Blocking unwanted users from seeing your page
  • Deleting your Facebook page completely, if it’s all just too much.
http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/download-the-very-unofficial-facebook-privacy-guide

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
No longer posting on freebies or comps

Comments

• Thanks OP. Great find.

Once you register (just your name and email address) there is also free access to loads of other IT and techy PDF guides, including I Phone.
  • tillytat
    tillytat Posts: 897 Forumite
    Thanks for this. Very useful site.
  • davester
    davester Posts: 4,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    for complete facebook privacy don't have an account.:D or if you have one , done have any friends that you don't know in real life and set it up so only your friends can see your profile and not their friends too
    Survey earnings total 2009 £417, 2010 £875, 2011 £574
  • poorbabe
    poorbabe Posts: 896 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks OP.

I'd like to think I have my FB account locked tight, but it never hurts to double-check.
  • Usefull as a basic guide.
    As facebook rolls out new features they need to be turned off blocked too though, the problem is they don't notify you of this and you often only find out when you've been taged or messaged in some way. As said above. If you want true privacy don't have an account.
  • 7ten
    7ten Posts: 33 Forumite
    Very useful! Thanks!
  • If you don't want to supply your email address, the password required is makeuseof. Thanks.
    :DInteresting Person
  • There is a new alternative to facebook:- Zurker- a new type of social media website which is owned by its members and members control their own privacy in a very open and straightforward way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure