days out 2 4 1 in London - cheapest train ticket?

tik33
tik33 Posts: 61 Forumite
Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched Cheap Train Tickets guide may be helpful.

Back to the original post...

HI all,

I live in London and will be going to the Zoo on Saturday and wanted to take advantage of the 2 4 1 deal - so was wondering if anyone had worked out what the cheapest national rail ticket is to qualify for the offer. I am going with 2 others so have already thought that we would use 'group save' - just don't know which ticket to ask for (I won't be using NR to get there - will probably drive)?

Thanks, Gus

Comments

• Something silly like a single from Waterloo East to Charing Cross should probably work, there's nothing in the terms to say that it wouldn't as far as I can see...

If you don't all already have travelcard season tickets it might be worth getting travelcards on the groupsave from a national rail station? Haven't checked the price of that though.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you'll find the cheapest single is Ryde Esplanade to Ryde St Johns Road at seventy pence. Can be bought at any National Rail station. Using Groupsave will make the total cost for all three of you £1.40.
  • The London 2 for 1 offers require a ticket where the destination is a London station.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Im coming down t London soon so i would be interested in this too.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Something silly like a single from Waterloo East to Charing Cross should probably work, there's nothing in the terms to say that it wouldn't as far as I can see...

If you don't all already have travelcard season tickets it might be worth getting travelcards on the groupsave from a national rail station? Haven't checked the price of that though.

Waterloo East to Charing Cross is £2 without a railcard for a single ticket, so £6 total (cheaper if any are children under 16 - I believe they go half price - or if you have a railcard). There may be cheaper ones but I'm not sure, check the National Rail website.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • tik33
    had a word with Network Rail and they seem to think (not the clearest conversation I've had but anyway...) that as long as the ticket is in London (by which I asked did he mean the destination was in London) that was ok. So think that Ryde is out. seems like an outer (single) zone overland ticket is £1.70

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14414.aspx#Adult

so, I think that will probably be the best saving on a groupsave (don't have any discount railcards) - but that should be 3.40 for 4 = 85p per person. They said that I could pick this ticket up at any overland station...

Anyone beat 85p per person?
  • Waterloo East to Charing Cross is £2 without a railcard for a single ticket, so £6 total (cheaper if any are children under 16 - I believe they go half price - or if you have a railcard). There may be cheaper ones but I'm not sure, check the National Rail website.

I think £3.90 if you use the Groupsave?
  • tik33 wrote: »
    had a word with Network Rail and they seem to think (not the clearest conversation I've had but anyway...) that as long as the ticket is in London (by which I asked did he mean the destination was in London) that was ok. So think that Ryde is out. seems like an outer (single) zone overland ticket is £1.70

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14414.aspx#Adult

so, I think that will probably be the best saving on a groupsave (don't have any discount railcards) - but that should be 3.40 for 4 = 85p per person. They said that I could pick this ticket up at any overland station...

Anyone beat 85p per person?

That looks about as good as you'll get!!!!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The London 2 for 1 offers require a ticket where the destination is a London station.
    Oh... sorry, I should've read the rules. :o
  • tik33
    tik33 wrote: »
    HI all,

I am going with 2 others

Thanks, Gus

sorry my post missed a bit out! - it meant to read that I am going along with my wife and 2 others - i.e. there's 4 of us not 3 (+ kids but they're under 3 so they'll be free).

don't think that it changes much anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure