We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Patio Cleaner

Andyf33
Andyf33 Posts: 53 Forumite
Hi folks

Going to be pressure washing my patio over the weekend (some guys have all the fun). Have any of you used patio cleaner with a pressure washer and does it make it any easier/are the results any better?

Thanks

Comments

• pauldreed
    pauldreed Posts: 222
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Andyf33 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Going to be pressure washing my patio over the weekend (some guys have all the fun). Have any of you used patio cleaner with a pressure washer and does it make it any easier/are the results any better?
    Thanks
    Aldi have some pressure washer attachments at £29.99 and I bought one last week, tried it yesterday and it worked brilliantly, easy to use and removed 10 years of brake dust, moss and dirt, leaving the block paving like new and without using chemicals.
    I tried to do it last year with the normal power washer lance and a cleaning chemical, and it was not very sucessful. It turned out patchy, took all day, and everything within 10 metres got splattered with wet moss and dirt (especially me!).
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I tried patio cleaner but it didn't seem to make any difference to me. Just as good with just the pressure washer.
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I did my block paving this week, tried patio cleaner from Aldi and oen for decking it was crap.

I used pressure hose for both and keep up nice and clean apart from odd green mildrew in decking which got sorted with diluted bleach. I also bleached the block paving to kill any I missed and have use kiln sand in the joints and ready should they arise again any moss/weeds with weed killer
  • Vibrant
    Vibrant Posts: 311 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2009 at 1:53AM
    I usually spray the surface with 50 - 50 water, bleach (sainsburys basics bleach, nothing fancy) and a dash of washing up liquid, 15 minutes before I clean. I think it makes the dirt shift better, but it could just be wishful thinking, lol.
    I have one of those surface cleaner attachments and they are very good, as you don't get splashed all the while. They are slightly faster than using a turbo lance.

The dark spots (algae, or lichen) that are often left after cleaning (depends how bad the surface is originally), seem to be almost impossible to remove.
    Experimenting on my own paths, I have had some success removing the spots with Wilkinson patio cleaner, on plain concrete. Brush on vigorously, leave for ten minutes and pressure wash off. But it is acid based, which can be risky (possible discolouration), read this page:
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_02.htm

Jeyes fluid is good for stopping the algae returning, spray on after cleaning. But it does smell badly for several days and as I found out, clogs your sprayer if you don't wash it out straight after use.

p.s: Wear some safety glasses.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Beware! How old is the pointing in your patio? We have twice had our patio pressure washed and on both occasions it stripped out huge quantities of the pointing, necessitating more DIY maintenance. Also, our patio consists of paving slabs and it has removed all the protective covering originally put on the slabs which now causes it to attract lichen and dirt far more quickly. I have put several coats of patio sealer on it since but the original surface texture has never been properly replaced. Now when the patio looks really grubby I give it a good soak with diluted Jeyes Fluid, leave on for about 30 minutes and then brush it down with a hose and stiff broom. It doesn't get it as immaculately clean as a pressure washer but it doesn't do as much damage either and the pointing doesn't have to be continually replaced.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    and the pointing doesn't have to be continually replaced.
    Can I ask if it was actually 'pointed' or just brushed in.
    I spent some time , with a a small pointing trowel, forcing the mortar hard between my slabs. I am VERY confidant that the pointing will stand up to any pressure washer. Brushing a dry mix , is as good as useless .
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    No, the pointing was properly done with wet cement, forced in and pressed down to get all the air out.
  • Vibrant
    Vibrant Posts: 311 Forumite
    To avoid the pointing being blasted out, keep the lance at a shallow angle, or use a surface cleaner. Sadly, most lances are rather short and the operater tends to use it in a vertical position.
    Also, back the lance off, when going over the pointing, it may not clean quite as well, but it's better than having to repoint.

I agree with Primrose, that pressure washing appears to roughen some surfaces. Usually most noticeable on plain concrete slabs.
    Regular maintenance as she describes, is usually the best and cheapest option, bleach and washing up liquid can also be used, if you cant stand the smell of jeyes (smelly but lasts longer)
  • Andyf33
    Andyf33 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Thanks guys. patio now all clean. didnt use any cleaner just water. kept the lance at a shallow angle which kept pointing loss to a minimum although there is still one or two places where i will need to re point.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport