How much is the cost per unit of gas & electric?

roses
roses Posts: 2,330
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I moved into my house last month & signed up with British Gas for gas & EDF for energy (which is who the previous occupant was with, I will change next month when prices are stable).

I have got meter readings after about a month. I have checked the British Gas & EDF website but cannot find what the unit cost is?!

Can anyone help? What's a ballpark figure for 1 unit of gas & 1 unit for electricity so I know roughly how much I can expect my bill to be?

Comments

• roses
    Forumite
    Never mind, found it:

http://www.edfenergy.com/edf-energy/showPage.do?name=homeenergy.switchBrand.prices.til

Electricity - 15p 1st 900kwh per year, 9p additional kwh
    Gas - 4.3p 1st 5860kwh per year, 2.678p additional kwh

Why is London the most expensive region? They seem to charge different prices depending on where you live!
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Because EDF are the old monopoly electricity supplier in that area, so can get away with charging a higher price.
  • tripled wrote:
    Because EDF are the old monopoly electricity supplier in that area, so can get away with charging a higher price.

It's not so much getting away with it, it's more to do with the competition act. This is deemed unfair practice if prices in London were the lowest out of all the area's.

Regrards

Taff;)
    Need is something you have to have

Want is something you would like to have
  • roses
    Forumite
    They should be the same across the whole country!
  • has anyone got a link to compare all companies kWh tarrifs side by side?
  • roses
    Forumite
    I would be interested in finding that too! It would make choosing a supplier so much easier :(
  • I have the same probem. I need to compare price for gas and electric for when i move but all the comparison sights just give you a list of what you save anually. It is anoying when you just want to compare unit prices
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    roses wrote: »
    I would be interested in finding that too! It would make choosing a supplier so much easier :(

Sorry, but how would that make it easier? Why would only catering for arithmetic savants be sensible?
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    roses wrote: »
    They should be the same across the whole country!

Although there is no national pricing if you oppose competition and want to share some costs you are free to put your money where your mouth is and pay for a tariff from Ebico.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Swirl wrote: »
    I have the same probem. I need to compare price for gas and electric for when i move but all the comparison sights just give you a list of what you save anually. It is anoying when you just want to compare unit prices
    Hi Swirl , and welcome to MSE! :hello:
    Congratulations on unearthing this
    3 year old thread

If you look closely at the comparison sites, it gives you the annual cost together with the unit charges as well as all other applicable additions/deductions that make up the annual cost
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure