How much is the cost per unit of gas & electric?

2»

Comments

• Originally Posted by roses viewpost.gif
    They should be the same across the whole country!

They were the same until the labour party sold it all off, remember tell Sid.
  • Tarian
    Tarian Posts: 54
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Sorry, but how would that make it easier? Why would only catering for arithmetic savants be sensible?

Actually prices per kWh is ALL that I want - and it's impossible (so far) to find a single site with a table of unit prices.

Nobody is asking to cater "only" for "arithmetic savants". (Although how simple arithemetic can get raised to that level.......?)

The fact is - comparison sites rarely produce the same results - so we should be able to understand the differences.
    Without transparent pricing, who know what conditions (traps?) are behind the amounts presented?

If anyone DOES know of a table of unit prices, please could they post a link.

Thanks very much.
    :A
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Most if not all comparison sites have unit pricing details, you are just not looking in the right place.
    IIRC just click on the details of the tariff you fancy and all will be revealed.
    BTW Comparison sites are only as good as the information you put in.

For example, from energy helpline

http://www.energyhelpline.com/energy/rg_tariffdetails.aspx?rg=2&tid1=324218&tid2=324162
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 February 2010 at 11:41AM
    Tarian wrote: »
    Actually prices per kWh is ALL that I want - and it's impossible (so far) to find a single site with a table of unit prices.

Nobody is asking to cater "only" for "arithmetic savants". (Although how simple arithemetic can get raised to that level.......?)

The fact is - comparison sites rarely produce the same results - so we should be able to understand the differences.
    Without transparent pricing, who know what conditions (traps?) are behind the amounts presented?

If anyone DOES know of a table of unit prices, please could they post a link.

Thanks very much.

So you are saying that you can look at a table of numbers and work out whether

(5.224 * (((670 * 4)) + 2.894 * (15000 - (670 * 4))) * 0.915) + ((15.987 * 900) + (8.943 * (2500-900)) * 0.915) - 4000

is cheaper than

(( (7.304 * 4572) + 3.002 * (15000 - 4572) ) * 0.76) + ((23.943 * 500) + (9.345 * (2500-500))) * 0.76) - 8000

and do that for another twenty tariffs and do that all in your head and not be savant?

----

You can get a list of the unit prices from the comparison sites. On the results table click the link to show all the results on one page and then for each tariff you are interested in open their tariff details in a separate window with a fancy click. You can then compare unit prices if you like.

No-one disputes that the comparison sites could improve their displays and make assumptions, discounts, penalties, prompt payments etcetera clearer.

And it is simply not true that comparison sites 'rarely' produce the same results.
  • Originally Posted by roses viewpost.gif
    They should be the same across the whole country!

They were the same until the labour party sold it all off, remember tell Sid.

You are probably joking Sweey, but some people might take you seriously, so I would like to correct this by stating that Mrs Thatcher (Conservative) sold off all the utilities so now most are foreign owned. Never made any sense to me but then I am not an economics expert.
  • Tarian
    Tarian Posts: 54
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    So you are saying that you can look at a table of numbers and work out whether

(5.224 * (((670 * 4)) + 2.894 * (15000 - (670 * 4))) * 0.915) + ((15.987 * 900) + (8.943 * (2500-900)) * 0.915) - 4000

is cheaper than

(( (7.304 * 4572) + 3.002 * (15000 - 4572) ) * 0.76) + ((23.943 * 500) + (9.345 * (2500-500))) * 0.76) - 8000

and do that for another twenty tariffs and do that all in your head and not be savant?

You see ..... you've just demonstrated that it CAN be done.
    (Did anyone say they could "look at a table of numbers and work out ..etc"?)
    I'm sure you've already put those expressions into a spreadsheet.

Adding the missing bracket in the second string , and dividing by 100 (pence) leads to the second answer being lower than the first by 1,422.

Quite frankly my spreadsheet is a bit cruder than that. I don't trust myself with such a long string !:o
    But would you be kind enough to explain the 4000 and 8000 subtracted?

Thanks
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family