PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap way to clean slippery wooden deck?

I want to clean our hardwood deck. Can anyone tell me a cheap alternative to get algae etc off it (which makes it very slippery). I wondered if there was a cheap way of doing it as the proprietory brands seem expensive. Someone told me that oxygen bleach can be used. Does anyone have any suggestions before I break my neck! Thanks

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not at all quite sure what bleach might do to the finish on your deck, and looking around I didn't see any home made cleaning solutions anywhere. That's not to say there aren't any - just that I couldn't find them in a quick look. :)

In the link below you might find a reasonable priced supply of a dedicated deck cleaner.

Google deck cleaning

How to clean anything just use their search engine and type deck into the upper search box.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • windym_2
    windym_2 Posts: 5,257
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I wouldn't use any chemicals as they could harm the wood. Either borrow or hire a pressure washer which will do the job in no time.
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hot soapy water and a stiff broom should do it. A tiny bit of bleach in the water helps too.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    I would recommend a pressure washer as above, did my slippy paths without any chemicals
  • Ria
    Ria Posts: 208 Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestions. In desperation, I have been out today and scrubbed the deck with hot soapy water. It has taken some of the algae off but not all and I wonder how long it will be before it grows back. I have 'googled' for ideas but now worried about using a pressure washer as one site said that it can splinter the wood.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You are very right, pressure washers can be very viscious, even on things harder than wood.

They are very good though for cleaning a deck (and path etc) - you just need to get one which has adjustable pressure (the larger Kaercher models do have this feature), and use it on a low setting on the deck. Also, you must not hold the lance too close to the wood, and use a wide spray setting. Takes a bit of getting used to the right sort of setting and application - best practise on a slab or concrete area first.

If you aren't comfortable with the idea of a pressure washer, then the alternative is ellbow grease, and probably chemicals. But chemicals can also do damage, and not only to your deck.

When you do have got your deck clean, you should also seal it, to prevent quick build-up of new algae. But this should really be done in warmer and dryer conditions than we have right now, i.e. next spring or early summer.
  • Jeyes Fluid is an outside cleaner and disinfectant and very good it is too. Put a couple of capfuls in your watering can, stir well and sprinkle over the algae, moss and so on. Leave for an hour then scrub clean with a stiff broom and lots of water. :p

I also use a pressure washer as mentioned in previous posts for paths, the patio, the car and lots of other jobs. They are very good and relatively cheap but I’m not sure if they are strictly Old Style though. A model which is rated about the 100 psi range would be good for most home outside jobs.

Hope this helps.
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • Ria
    Ria Posts: 208 Forumite
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have found the answer to cleaning my deck -soda crystals. See the link
    http://www.dripak.co.uk/sodacrystals.htm
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for coming back to let us know :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • chops
    chops Posts: 43 Forumite
    Is there a good cheap way of cleaning decking, I am borrowing a pressure washer but my decking has quite alot of algae on it, should I resort to buying decking cleaner, any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure