Trying to speak to a human being at Royal Mail Customer Services

Comments

• jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    That happened to me too. All I wanted to know was what time my local sorting office closed. I went to the Royal Mail website, found the right page which said 'sorry, we don't have this information. Phone us and we will be able to help.'

Then phone lines kept saying 'this information will be on our website' and I couldn't get through to an actual person.

Even if it was online, not everyone HAS a computer, so all information should be available by phone too.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • madget_2
    madget_2 Posts: 668 Forumite
    jazabelle - Yes, that's exactly what I thought. A friend of mine hated technology and wouldn't have a computer if she was given one. It used to drive her mad that Royal Mail used to drone on about the Internet, and she was forced to sit there for ages and listen to their spiel before she could actually re-arrange a delivery or speak to someone.
  • madget_2
    Anyway, there's been a development!

The lady at our local delivery office kept her promise and rang me first thing this morning to say that she'd found my parcel. There'd been a mix-up as she'd assumed it was ordinary post, rather than tracked. I had offered to give the CS rep the tracking number (just had to quickly look it up online) when she rang the delivery office yesterday, but she said that itwouldn't be necessary and obviously didn't even mention this to them - so the DO were looking in the wrong section.

The DO lady arranged for my parcel to be redelivered just after 8am this morning, so it has arrived just in time!

I have to say that I'm very impressed with the helpfulness of my local DO lady and the delivery man who popped around this morning, also my regular posties are fantastic.

However, I'm still very annoyed at whoever is responsible for that bl**dy awful Royal Mail telephone CS system. I registered a complaint about it when I rang yesterday and would advise anyone else to do the same. They really need to sort it out and make it actually usable.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    madget wrote: »
    Anyway, there's been a development!

The lady at our local delivery office kept her promise and rang me first thing this morning to say that she'd found my parcel. There'd been a mix-up as she'd assumed it was ordinary post, rather than tracked. I had offered to give the CS rep the tracking number (just had to quickly look it up online) when she rang the delivery office yesterday, but she said that itwouldn't be necessary and obviously didn't even mention this to them - so the DO were looking in the wrong section.

The DO lady arranged for my parcel to be redelivered just after 8am this morning, so it has arrived just in time!

I have to say that I'm very impressed with the helpfulness of my local DO lady and the delivery man who popped around this morning, also my regular posties are fantastic.

However, I'm still very annoyed at whoever is responsible for that bl**dy awful Royal Mail telephone CS system. I registered a complaint about it when I rang yesterday and would advise anyone else to do the same. They really need to sort it out and make it actually usable.

its one of these things
    the storage system is very old school
    it varys by office but most split recorded/tracked/special deliveries into their own sections
    customs charges/underpaid items in another
    then normal untracked packages in another

if somethings misfiled it can be a pain to find!

my old office covered 4 postcodes,so these had to be kept separate from each other
    and segregated as a said before
    i have et to see a delivery office with enough storage room for packets,less so now with later delivery times and the year on year rise in packet traffic
  • madget_2
    They don't make it easy, custardy - must be a nightmare to work there!

At least my faith has now been restored in my local DO. It all would have been resolved so much more easily if I'd been able to speak direct to them in the first place. They went out of their way to sort it out in time for me. Can't say fairer than that.

I think RM would work so much better if they got rid of all of the decision-making idiots at the top!
  • custardy
    madget wrote: »
    They don't make it easy, custardy - must be a nightmare to work there!

At least my faith has now been restored in my local DO. It all would have been resolved so much more easily if I'd been able to speak direct to them in the first place. They went out of their way to sort it out in time for me. Can't say fairer than that.

I think RM would work so much better if they got rid of all of the decision-making idiots at the top!

this is it though,very often complaints generate from silly little issues and errors
    if the phones in the DO's were staffed then loads could be addressed (no pun)easily
    however the fact is the phone is just another job for someone who has loads of other duties to do
    in my old office with 4 postcodes to deal with the phone was very low on the priorities
    the irony of a queue of people moaning they cant get through on the phone to the one person serving,as the phone rang constantly in the background seemed lost on them
  • Having exactly the same problem right now with Baird St. Sorting Office in Glasgow, who are fairly notorious here for rarely or almost never answering their phone. If you tap in Baird Street Sorting Office Glasgow into Google, a review site comes up, with endless complaints about them not answering their phone. You would think that Royal Mail would be only too well aware of all of these very frustrated complaints.
    If you are able, and have the transport to actually get to Baird Street sorting Office, which is a bit off the beaten track, they are actually very nice to deal with.. but not everyone will have that ability, and therefore they need to phone.
    But..it can take days of endless phoning before someone finally answers the phone. And by that time, your package may well have been sent back.
    I have also tried the automated service today at customer services, and have felt at the end of my tether with the endless automated messages.
    I have not got to speak to a human yet, and feel concerned about my recorded delivery package, and fell my chances of actually getting it delivered to me are getting smaller by the day.
  • flora48
    flora48 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I find the best way to book a redelivery is on line. Go to Royal Mail website and choose relivery. I have used this several times as our collection Post Office is 7 miles away with linited parking. No problems so far.
  • well... I finally got through to Baird Street.. despite having arranged with me to redeliver this morning...it is a Royal Mail Tracked package..it is still in the sorting office..which closes at 12,30 today.. they didn`t put it onto the vans for delivery this morning.
    oh joy..tomorrow is another day.
  • custardy
    zeppellina wrote: »
    well... I finally got through to Baird Street.. despite having arranged with me to redeliver this morning...it is a Royal Mail Tracked package..it is still in the sorting office..which closes at 12,30 today.. they didn`t put it onto the vans for delivery this morning.
    oh joy..tomorrow is another day.

are they not doing additional packet deliveries today?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure