Free Electricity Monitor - Which Electric Provider ?

darren72
darren72 Posts: 1,288
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
I remember seeing that some energy providers were offering free electric monitors, and now I cannot find which ones offered this.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

Comments

• Eon do via their Energy Saver tariff (there is a discontinuation fee if you leave early).

I'm sure there's others.
  • Wouldn't it be better to buy one separately for circa £35, leaving you free to then sign up to the company/tariff that is cheapest for you?
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    >Wouldn't it be better to buy one separately for circa £35<

Loads of the plug-in units on Ebay for less than a tenner. I wouldn't choose my supplier based on this offer.
  • basmic
    basmic Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    amcluesent wrote: »
    >Wouldn't it be better to buy one separately for circa £35<

Loads of the plug-in units on Ebay for less than a tenner. I wouldn't choose my supplier based on this offer.
    I think the OP means an electricity monitor which clamps onto the cables near your meter.
    Everybody is equal; However some are more equal than others.
  • basmic wrote: »
    I think the OP means an electricity monitor which clamps onto the cables near your meter.

Agreed, hence my 'circa £35' comment. Get on the wrong tariff for your usage and you can easily overspend by £35 PER MONTH so my theory is it's not a great idea to choose your supplier/tariff based on a £35 'freebie' that has T&Cs attached to it if you leave...
    Call me Carmine....

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    darren72 wrote: »
    I remember seeing that some energy providers were offering free electric monitors, and now I cannot find which ones offered this.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks
    SSE better plan
    http://www.southernenergytips.co.uk/betterplan.aspx
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • basmic wrote: »

We have a remote meter (its away in a cupboard), then the main cable comes into our flat. Would those meters still work if the sensor was fitted on the cable not nearby the meter itself?
  • We have a remote meter (its away in a cupboard), then the main cable comes into our flat. Would those meters still work if the sensor was fitted on the cable not nearby the meter itself?

Yeah, they still work... the one on better plan (Southern Electric, etc) has a little clamp that goes round one of the cables from your meter and into a little box. That box then sends a wireless signal to the display unit which you can plug in in just about any room in your property and see your energy usage. It also has a neat bar-graph feature which shows your average day/evening/night use. Hope that helps!
  • The Daily Mail/Owl/British Gas wireless energy monitors have started landing on people's mats - expect to see some real bargains on ebay shortly!
    Call me Carmine....

• The Daily Mail/Owl/British Gas wireless energy monitors have started landing on people's mats - expect to see some real bargains on ebay shortly!

ive been waiting for this - hopefully ebay prices will come down as no movement over the last month or so

Are the plug in ones available anywhere cheap still?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure