Cheapest place to buy frozen turkey?

Right the search is on for a bird! Need a big one (between 17-20lbs). Anyone know of any cheap ones being sold?

Comments

• karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    had ours from farm foods.
    :A :j
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Turkey crowns are £10 at Lidl and Aldi,maybe buy 2?
  • Co-op have huge ones for £20, their Elmwood range which is usually good. I'm getting one as soon as my new chest freezer is up and running.
    £180.00 in 'sistercas'fund
    Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
    Samuel Smiles
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 December 2011 at 7:43PM
    8.2kg is £37 as a pre order in morrisons which gives you a ball park figure.

Aldi/lidl tend to be much smaller.

According to mysupermarket an 8.4kg is £24 in Asda! 7.9kg £25 in Tesco 10kg £37

Now i am tempted too...... My mum always cooked a 20lb plus.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Thank you! DH says it must be one bird! No 2 smaller ones & no crown!

So it seems I'll be forking out about £25 for one then!

Much cheaper than a fresh one. I remember buying one from the local butcher 7 yrs ago & paid £2 per LB then & it wqas 24lbs! wow!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • I had an Aldi turkey crown about 3 weeks ago as I was feeding about 12 people.
    To be honest it was dry and crumbly!
    Wouldn't recommend!
  • elainemn
    elainemn Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    I had an Aldi turkey crown about 3 weeks ago as I was feeding about 12 people.
    To be honest it was dry and crumbly!
    Wouldn't recommend!

I have had these the past 3 years. As long as you do not overcook they are always lovely.
  • pinkmami wrote: »
    Right the search is on for a bird! Need a big one (between 17-20lbs). Anyone know of any cheap ones being sold?

I have been quite shocked at how much they are this year and have bought an extra large free range chicken from Tesco and put it in the freezer, as I really thought I wouldn't be able to afford a turkey. The asda one sounds really good though so I might be persuaded, however having no freezer space I will have to wait until near to Christmas day to buy it so I bet they are more expensive then!

I saw the crowns in Aldi but on the box they said that they were produced using Turkey from Brazil and that put me off a bit - I would rather have british turkey.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Large 7 - 8.5kg Turkeys are £20 in Co-op cheapest ive seen around for that sort of size, and its elmwood too. hth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure