Comments

• alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    To stop cats in our garden we have

1. bottles of water
    2. tea bags soaked in albas oil.
    3. Cat repellent powder
    4. A machine thing that sends out a noise that only cats can hear and deters them from the garden as they don't like the noise.
    5. Toy snakes.
    6. Cat repellent spray.

er ... and still the cats continue to poop in the garden and it stinks. I have been out today in the sun - and the sun seems to have cooked the poop to make it more pongy than usual!! Nice!

:)

I don't think there is a solution.

p.s. there was a really long thread on this topic but I have searched and searched and can't find it.
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    The previous thread suggested ' adopt the cat and feed it etc, the cat will then think that your garden is it's OWN territory and crap elsewhere'
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • alison6692
    Options
    Thanks sheel - it was driving me nuts trying to find that thread.

The pesky cat came into my house this morning - ugh!! >:( thing is he is quite sweet but cannot forgive him for the stinkers he leaves in the garden. Although yesterday he just stood infront of me and sicked up on the patio then I shooed him away and then he sicked in the grass - not as cute ;)
  • plasticflower
    Options
    This used to be such a big problem for me. I am trying to sort out my garden and have a few empty places in the flower beds, ie. nice fresh earth for the cats to cr@p in.

After buying several types of deterrent from garden centers (which only kept things clear for about a day or two) I dubiously resorted to a tip recommended by a friend - human urine! :o

Was a bit sceptical and errm, slightly embarrassed at collecting the stuff, but as I'm fed up of smelling cat !!!!!! everytime I go in my garden I was willing to try anything! Also it's freely available so I've been putting it down as often as I can! :-[
    It's only been a couple of weeks but it's worked for longer than anything else I've tried.

Will see if the remedy lasts long term.

Good luck to anyone who's trying this!

P xx
  • alison6692
    Options
    ha ha - will let man know this one!! :) he can try this little idea out. will let you know the results!
  • me
    me Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    This used to be such a big problem for me. I am trying to sort out my garden and have a few empty places in the flower beds, ie. nice fresh earth for the cats to cr@p in.

After buying several types of deterrent from garden centers (which only kept things clear for about a day or two) I dubiously resorted to a tip recommended by a friend - human urine! :o

Was a bit sceptical and errm, slightly embarrassed at collecting the stuff, but as I'm fed up of smelling cat !!!!!! everytime I go in my garden I was willing to try anything! Also it's freely available so I've been putting it down as often as I can! :-[
    It's only been a couple of weeks but it's worked for longer than anything else I've tried.

Will see if the remedy lasts long term.

Good luck to anyone who's trying this!

P xx

I heard the 'urine' reference at a garden show recently, so I thought I would give it a go. I have been 'marking' the areas where the cats frequent, using a 'filled' squeezy bottle and so far, it has not made the blindest bit of difference.

In fact cat sightings in our garden seems to have increased!! >:(
  • You will find a lot of useful suggestions here - http://www.hintsandthings.com/garden/cats.htm
  • flub_2
    flub_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Citronella is brilliant for this and can be bought at garden centres, DIY etc. needs to be replenished after rain.
    Also, you can get felt pellets for .177 air guns. if you can get a good bead, blast them. Stings but no damage. Good, especially if you don't know who the little !!!!!! belongs too.

Good hunting ;D

Flub
    Regards

Mark
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I tried:

Water bottles - Didn't work
    Chilli Powder - Didn't work
    Cat repellent plants from B and Q - didn't work
    Hanging CD's - didn't work
    Vinegar - Works for everything else! - but doesn't repel cats.

Gave up and spent a couple of months in summer chasing the little b*ggers off the garden with the hosepipe! and it seems to have worked. :D - though this did coincide with the next door neighbours getting a rotweiller ;D

Although they still cut through the garden and sunbathe on the shed they have stopped cr*pping in the garden.

Still chase them off now and again as a reminder. ;)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • kitten
    Options
    Sprigs of holly laid over the garden works. Or if it's a big area chuck loads of individual holly leaves around. They get the message quickly (though it turns weeding into an extreme sport).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure