Lost all the BBC channels after switchover

Hi there

I am in Devon so we have had our digital swapover and all my freeview boxes have lost every single BBC channel except BBC1!

Is anyone else having this problem? It seems outrageous that I cannot get even BBC2 and the kids can now no longer get CBB's.

Any idea who I would contact about this?

Sorry if I sound a bit dim, I am a bit of a technophobe and thought with the digital freeview boxes I would be OK.

Diva.x
To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

Comments

• AHAR
    AHAR Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2009 at 1:14PM
    Have you tried scanning for channels again?
    Maybe they've changed the frequencies at the same time?:confused:

Have a look on this site for any specific advice for your transmitter.
  • Yes, I have rescanned three times now. I get more listings for the BBC channels but no actual service, it just says 'deleted'.

Am pretty fed up.

Thank you for the link, I shall give it a read now.

Diva.
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Have you done a 'new install' or just 'scanned for extra channels'? If not I would do so

There's lots of advice here , including instructions for specific freeview boxes
  • Yes hon, I have done a new install, twice actually as I tried the day after it all changed in case 24hrs made a difference. Since the two new installs I have rescanned three times.

Thank you for the link, I am on my way there now.

Diva.x
  • greyster
    greyster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    my mum is in devon and same thing happened, rescan is required.
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Make sure you do a "Factory Reset" of the freeview box. Some seem to remember the old frequencies rather than the new ones.
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Money saving Diva

I thought that there were some boxes out there that wouldnt operate correctly after the re-distribution of channels

have you tried googling your freeview model and see whats about?

Other people may be having the same problem and have an answer for you
  • andyfras_2
    andyfras_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am in Devon so we have had our digital swapover
    The second part of your switchover happens next week (22nd April), when you will have to do this all again.

My sister lives near Beacon Hill and some of her equipment had the BBC problem. The answer is to delete all channels before rescanning. Failure to do this may put BBC channels in the 800+ numbers.

There should be no problem with reception, as the main BBC group of channels has been boosted to ten times the power used before the switchover.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    NB: not all of Devon has switched yet-the change last week affects the Beacon Hill transmitters and it's associated relays. If you are on the Stockland Hill transmitter then the switchover will happen in early May.
    A lot of people assume that they are getting their signal from the nearest transmitter or relay, but it's not always the case-local geography is an important factor. If in doubt, have a look outside and see which way your aerial is aligned.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Unhban
    Unhban Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2009 at 10:42AM
    Some older freeview boxes can't cope with the number of channels available on freeview these days - they don't have enough memory to store each channel's details and don't know what to do with the BBC channels, so they put them from 800 upwards, but not in order.

I had this problem with a Grundig stb but the answer was quite simple. In the early hours of the morning freeview do automatic firmware upgrades over the air for certain stbs on a rotating basis. You can either leave your stb in standby mode overnight for quite a number of nights, or have a search on the net for when your stb's firmware upgrade is due. After that night you then do a full channel scan and all is well again.

If freeview are not going to upgrade your stb's firmware, you can either put up with the BBC channels being stored at position 800 onwards, or buy a new box.

Really, the above is a simplification of the problem... it's really down to freeview now using split NITs, the channel information has been split into two parts and the second part cannot be used by older boxes without the firmware upgrade.

Unh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport