"This is how much the law says you need to live on"

Comments

• cassieB57
    cassieB57 Posts: 506 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2011 at 10:53PM
    It's a bit unwieldy byt here it is:

Applicable amounts

83. Except in the case of a claimant to whom regulation 84 , 85 or 86 or Part X (applicable amounts in other cases and urgent cases) applies, a claimant’s weekly applicable amount shall be the aggregate of such of the following amounts as may apply in his case—

(a)an amount in respect of himself or if he is a member of a couple, an amount in respect of both of them, determined in accordance with sub-paragraph (1), (2) or (3), as the case may be, of paragraph 1 of Schedule 1;

(b)an amount determined in accordance with paragraph 2 of Schedule 1 in respect of any child or young person who is a member of his family, excluding a child or young person whose capital, if calculated in accordance with Part VIII in like manner as for the claimant would exceed £3,000, but including a child whose capital falls to be treated as income in accordance with regulation 106 (1) (modification in respect of children and young persons);

(c)an amount in respect of himself, or where the claimant is a member of a family, an amount in respect of any member of the family aged 16 or over determined in accordance with paragraph 3 of Schedule 1 (residential allowance);

(d)where he is a member of a family of which at least one member is a child or young person, an amount determined in accordance with Part II of Schedule 1 (family premium);

(e)the amount of any premiums which may be applicable to him, determined in accordance with Parts III and IV of Schedule 1 (premiums); and

(f)any amounts determined in accordance with Schedule 2 (housing costs) which may be applicable to him in respect of mortgage interest payments or such other housing costs as are prescribed in that Schedule.

(I hope GilbertGradgrind is reading this)
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    You should get more if you live in London pffft
  • cassieB57
    Sorry again but I dont know how to do the separate quotes so I've answered your second question here, it's in the DMG part 35.

"Hardship payments are payments of JSA(IB) that are made to certain people who
    do not qualify for JSA under normal rules and
    would suffer hardship if JSA is not paid."

'not available for work or not actively seeking work' means that for a particular benefit week the customer has not shown themselves to be jobseeking or have not been available for work, and that doubt was referred to a Decision Maker who applied a sanction. The sanction will apply for each week the customer was not available or ASE. Since normally jobseekers will sign fortnightly, the sanction would be for a week or fortnight. If they did the same thing the next fortnight they micht get another week or 2 week sanction, so in theory they could be 'not entitled' to JSA indefinately and they could claim hardship payments each time they are sanctioned. But they may not get anything if they have other means such as savings, or a partner who works, or if they themselves have other income.
  • dark_lady
    dark_lady Posts: 961 Forumite
    Cassie i have asked you a question on the thread Refuse work placement on Flexible New Deal about New Deal workers and Employers Liability Insurance.
  • cassieB57
    dark_lady wrote: »
    Cassie i have asked you a question on the thread Refuse work placement on Flexible New Deal about New Deal workers and Employers Liability Insurance.

I answered it there, but here as well and extract from the HSE booklet:Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969

In some cases you will not need additional employers’ liability insurance for volunteers or for:

students who work for you unpaid;

people who are not employed, but taking part in a youth or adult training programme; or

a school student on a work experience programme.*
    Insurers will usually cover the above under an existing employers’ liability policy, and there is generally no need to inform your insurer if you take on any of the above. However, you should talk to your insurer if you take on the above either for long periods, or if they are doing work that is not your company’s usual business, and you should bear in mind the level of risk they may be exposed to during the time they are working for you. It may be necessary for you to carry out a separate risk assessment (eg for young workers) or take special measures for those listed above.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    can you get hardship payments if you refuse to go on the work placement?
    :footie:
  • Mr_Oink
    Mr_Oink Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    GotNoMoney wrote: »
    If they send letters out with "the law says this is how much you need to live on" there obviously is a breakdown of costs somewhere for them to say this in the first place.

Sure there is! It's in the red folder at the end of 'MP's expense rules' just after the John Lewis list.

Sir George Young made me chuckle. Bought a £500 dishwasher, then claimed for Fairy liquid.....
  • vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    The law is complete bull because it is not enough to live on.

You might eat, like soup and chips, but paying the utility bills too...
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • GotNoMoney
    GotNoMoney Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2011 at 4:50PM
    Thanks for all the replies, but not a single one shows any actual numbers. I want to see how they arrive at the figure of £67.50 a week.

Comments like "If you looked this hard for a job" are a good way of avoiding the subject.

All I want to see is something like:

Gas bill: £10
    Electric bill: £25
    Food expenses: £27.50
    Travel: £5.00
    TOTAL: £67.50

I don't understand why asking such a question should be such a shock to people. I am not the one that said "this is how much the law says you need to live on".

Its like me conning someone into paying me £50 a week then when they come around to asking me why they are paying me this money, I say "because the law says". The first thing they will say is show me which law or where "the" law says that.

What if someone worked out these figures properly? We all know the sum would exceed £67.50 by quite a long way once you start bringing clothes and other such items (only ones that are needed) into account.

It would be interesting to see what figure it really amounts to, just out of interest.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    diable wrote: »
    You should get more if you live in London pffft

Housing is more expensive in London but other things like food and fares are not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure