help with barclays /woolwich shares

okay my mum and dad had a woolwich account that gave them shares some years ago...this all got transfered to barclays when the woolwich closed

my dad recently died and my mum needs to get them changed over to her name , and then she wants to cash them in

weve written to them and they say we need to fill out a small estates form , then request a share certificate

what do we do with the share certificate to turn it into cash

dummy terms please...never dealt with shares before

Comments

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You will need to find a broker who will sell them on your behalf. If you end up with more than £500 worth, you can go through Selftrade via the referral scheme and net yourself £80 (do a search on this site for Selftrade referral). This will more than cover the dealing cost to sell them (£12.50), so you'll be sorted at that point.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Here is Selftrade referral thread - my own details are in post 282..

Basically, your mother would need is to join Selftrade, send them the share certificate (when you receive it) together with a completed 'CREST transfer form'.

When Selftrade register the shares against your mothers account, she can then sell them at any time either online or via the telephone.

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family