Real-life MMD: Should I share utility switching cashback?

Comments

• I wouldn't keep it - in just the same way that I knocked about £800pa off my shared house's gas and electricity bill (:eek:) and got free insulation installed (another £200pa saved), but never in a million years would I expect to be able to keep that grand for myself . . .
  • As the bills are in your name I assume that only you can negotiate any deals so I suggest you stop overplaying how hard it was to get the deal and take all your flatmates out for a drink on your windfall. :beer:
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Actually, I DID tell the first housemates about the cashback, but by the time it had come they'd forgotten about it (or maybe didn't understand it in the first place) so I kept it.

The spreadsheet idea is a good one. I don't bother this year as I'm only in charge of one bill.
  • Seeing as you did all the hard work, then you keep it!!! I got sick of doing all the leg work during the years I house-shared, then finally kept the final yrs cashback my self. Without your work, you would all be paying more anyway!
  • Man, keep it. It's only £30.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln
  • I would probably keep it - think of it as a fee for you doing all the leg work! If you feel guilty about it you could always buy a communal box of chocolates for advent or something :)
  • I would keep it,your'e responsible for paying the bills anyway.As others have said - it's been all your hard work.
  • I think you've been working with Martin Lewis for too long! Remember that the love of money is the root of all evil - it's not a life changing sum, don't be so mean, share it with the others!
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01 :j
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you:(

Never begin a sentence with "And". Unless you are the Goo Goo Dolls that is.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 696
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Of course you should share the cashback with them - or sepnd it on a treat you can all enjoy together. Keeping it for yourself is just mean!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MSE_Sally wrote: »
    I share a house. While we split the bills equally, the gas and electricity bill is in my name. When the price hikes were announced recently, I listened to the boss and switched to a fixed deal saving us £150/yr, clicking through a comparison site offering the most cashback.

I've done the legwork, made the calls and sourced the deal. Now the switch is nearly complete, do I split the £30 cashback with my housemates?
    JayD wrote: »
    Of course you should share the cashback with them - or sepnd it on a treat you can all enjoy together. Keeping it for yourself is just mean!

The housemates are already enjoying the savings that Sally has sourced for them. She did all the work and they are benefitting.

If I was one of the housemates, I'd tell Sally to keep the cashback and thank her for doing the work that's now saving me money year on year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure