Capital One PPI - stalling?

Hi

I wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I have written to Capital One requesting repayment of PPI charges due to mis-selling as I have pre-existing medical conditions and also an Occupational Sick Scheme at my place of employment - when the customer adviser spoke to me on the phone regarding this he indicated it was for 'purchase protection' rather than PPI. I sent the standard form by recorded delivery as advised by FOS and received a reply within 48 hours saying that they would give their response in 10 weeks time!! I thought the response time for PPI claims was 8 weeks? However, it is now 12 weeks and still I've heard nothing - if I call their offices I loop round trying to speak to someone regarding this so I gave up!

The odd thing is that since logging my complaint I have received an email telling me of PPI changes that are now in place and also an Annual Statement of PPI charges which I've never had in the 4 years I've had the credit card? Are they stalling or ignoring as I've also requested cancellation of the premium and they are still charing my account?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    and received a reply within 48 hours saying that they would give their response in 10 weeks time!! I thought the response time for PPI claims was 8 weeks?

They have to aim to reply within 8 weeks but dont have to resolve it in that time. That is the point you can go to the FOS if you wish. However, with the FOS queue at 12-18 months and the FOS only upholding 11% of complaints against Cap One, its probably worth waiting.

They are just busy and have a backlog. Keep waiting.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Blimey didn't realise FOS were so busy eeek... thanks for the heads up I'll sit and wait it out ... :-)
  • brenmi
    brenmi Posts: 7 Forumite
    I have received confirmation they have received my complaint, and am awaiting their reply, they have 7 weeks left...will keep you all posted.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    KKmatters wrote: »
    I have received an email telling me of PPI changes that are now in place and also an Annual Statement of PPI charges which I've never had in the 4 years I've had the credit card? u
    this is a new thing, nothing sinister
  • brenmi wrote: »
    I have received confirmation they have received my complaint, and am awaiting their reply, they have 7 weeks left...will keep you all posted.

Good luck.... will watch for your updates :)
    roonaldo wrote: »
    this is a new thing, nothing sinister

Ahhh right... thank you just thought it odd since my complaint I received the email/statement...

UPDATE .... I have now received a response from Capital One that said they have a backlog and aim to resolve in 4 weeks but if this isnt possible they will write again to let me know!!!
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Capital one are notorious for using every delaying tactic they can-its a US thing, court cases over there can be dragged out for years and years and they work on the same priciple here. My PPI claim took them 12 wks to finally say no to. After 9-10 months with the FOS their adjudicator found in my favour-capital one still refuse to give up and are appealing to the ombudsman. I reckon I will be lucky to get anything in under 2 years since the first letter.

So don't hold your breath sorry.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    Capital one are notorious for using every delaying tactic they can-its a US thing, court cases over there can be dragged out for years and years and they work on the same priciple here. My PPI claim took them 12 wks to finally say no to. After 9-10 months with the FOS their adjudicator found in my favour-capital one still refuse to give up and are appealing to the ombudsman. I reckon I will be lucky to get anything in under 2 years since the first letter.

So don't hold your breath sorry.

Ali x

OH!!! <shocked> this is awful.... surely if the government have given guidelines and more money is being set aside to 'settle' claims then Capital One should follow suit!! I suppose they just hope that the claimant gets fed up and gives up and hey ho money stays in their bank... in my case I stated in the letter that the PPI should be ceased and they've totally ignored that part of it even though they've twice acknowledged my claim they won't cancel the insurance so I'm still paying for it!!!

I wish you lots of luck and hope you hear something soon given FOS have a huge backlog and low result rate with Capital One we can only continue to wait _pale_
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    surely if the government have given guidelines

The Govt have given no guidelines.
    and more money is being set aside to 'settle' claims then Capital One should follow suit!!

Capital One have a good reputation on complaints. The FOS only overturned 11% of their rejections. How much Cap One set aside will be a matter for them and what happens with future complaint levels.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Capital 1 are driving me nuts! when I sent my claim form in I received a letter saying 8-10 weeks. After 10 weeks I received another letter saying 4 weeks. After 4 weeks I rang them (0333 000 1601 options 2 and 4) and was told a settlement offer had been made :) and the letter with the offer was posted on the 10/10/12. I rang up on the 18/10/12 and told them I hadn't received the letter so they were sending me another. On the 25/10/12 I rang again and told them I still hadn't received the first or second letter. I was told to be patient.. I rang again on the 31/10/12 and was told the second letter was posted out on the 30/10/12... eh?! rang again on the 05/11/12 and was advised the post is second class and takes 8-10 days... 8-10 day's from Nottingham to Derby?! I sent a letter to Canada and it got there in 4 days.. Are Capital 1 taking the !!!!? have they actually sent this letter? or am I ringing on the 12/11/12 (when i've been told they can print another) to request another copy that obviously won't get posted for a week?? They apparently can't email it, they apparently can't fax it, and apparently I can't go there to pick the letter up either! Capital 1 took my money without my sayso, now they need to get their thumbs out their bums and re-pay it to me!!
  • Oh dear.... the first part is exactly the same as mine.... 10 weeks to reply and in the 11th week I get a letter saying another 4 weeks.... so today I have another letter from them.... my heart goes in my mouth as I brace myself for 'rejection' only to find that I have provided 'inaccurate or insufficient information' !?!?! As confused as I was I continued to read to find that my signature apparently has changed since I took out the Credit Card and I have now to provide either a copy of my passport or driving licence to prove who I am..... my signature has changed over the years but not vastly ... so I'm thinking based on the information you have provided that they are using every tactic in the book to stall the resolution!!

I really hope you get your letter soon - maybe call their bluff and ask them to email you a copy after all I got mail from Hong Kong in 4 days!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure