electric wet central heating and tariffs!

ISA1
ISA1 Posts: 3 Newbie
I've just changed from white meter storage heaters to a Heatrae Sadia Electromax combi boiler giving me controlable central heating and hot water. Problem is I'm very confused as to what electricity tariff would be best for me. I am with Scottish Power and was on White Meter Comfort Plus. However, to cut a very long story short my meter was changed to Economy 2000 as it was supposed to be a thermaflow boiler I was having installed!! Don't ask!! I tel Scottish Power and was advised that the Econ 2000 was not compatable with the Heatrae Sadia unit and I would be better of on either Economy 7 or normal tarrifs.
Before I make arrangements to have the meter changed again can anyone give me any advice? With the white meter my monthly electricity charge was £150 which I pay by direct debit. There is no gas supply to my property as I'm in the country. I've tried looking at the comparison sites but to be honest am more confused than ever!! Thanks.

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Without knowing the all the details of what you have I would think a non-E7 tariff would be best (or have a look at EDF 20:20)

The reason being is that usually you pay a small premium for day rates on E7 compared to normal rates.

Perhaps this was something you really should have considered before changing the heating system? What made you decide on an electric wet system? All the disadvantages of a wet system (maintenance, low efficiency, etc) combined with the high cost of electrical heating.
    I would have difficulty in trying to suggest a worse solution.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • ISA1
    ISA1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look at what you've suggested. I know electric central heating isn't the best option but other than storage heaters it was the only option i had! No gas where I am and didn't have the option of LPG or calor as nowhere to site tank. Believe it or not I have thought long and hard about this! After the winter we had with the house being cold at 7.30pm as all the heat had gone from the storage heaters I vowed never to spend another like it!! So far everything seems ok and going well....I even had the luxury of putting on the radiators on Saturday night for an hour as it was a howler of a day here in scotland!
    All I'm trying to do now is to get the best, compatable tariff and would love to here from anyone with the same or similar system.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The best thing to do is to estimate your annual usage in Kwh's and use the comparison sites.
    I would use the figures from last years storage heater usage add this to your day units and use that total.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • helaus
    helaus Posts: 13 Forumite
    ive heard rumours of electric wet central heating systems costing hundreds of pounds/month to run - anybody know if these are true - i have a 3 bed bungalow
  • richardg_2
    richardg_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    we have the same electromax system. It is a great system when space is limited for gas or oil tanks and simple to use with the flick of a switch. Cost however is not so great. We have however managed to find an energy supplier who will provide us with Economy 10 electricity. You get a discounted rate from 12am to 5am, 1pm to 4pm and 8pm to 10pm - ideal for heating the house when you are home from working during the day. reduced rate is around 5.5p per unit and standard is around 16.5p with edf. There is also a standing charge. Big problem is though when you are cold outside the hours of cheap electric, as the costs can quickly rack up! Unfortunately also there is likely only one supplier of economy 10 to your property, who will be the owner of the network local to your house. It took a bit of research to find out who owned our network (edf) and then once you have found out it then takes some perseverance with the call centre for the operator to find economy 10 on the system (apparently it is an antiquated tariff). The other down side is that there will be no other deals available, i mean, once you sign up to the economy 10 you are stuck on that supply with that one supplier and at the whim of any price rises they introduce. A quick check however with online comparison sites has shown that without economy 10 I would be paying around £1900 a year (currently I pay around £1400).
    Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport