Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Comments

• Iconic
    Iconic Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    JethroUK wrote: »
    I like text wrapping and column view on opera mobile as per original g300 browser which great for reading forums on your mobile but this is not on opera mini

Have you used Opera Link with Opera Mobile? I can get the link to work between my desktop and laptop but not on Opera Mobile. It seems quite a few people have problems with this and Opera say they have fixed it but I cannot get it to work with my mobile!
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    sillygoose wrote: »
    JethroUK wrote: »

I thought it had worked for you Jethro without root from what you said on Modoco forum?

The point of this is it shouldn't need rooting to do, and I believe you don't need to install adb (for this task it applies more to MAC's) I certainly haven't - yet it run different on my PC to Intenso's so I think its something at Intenso's PC - he gets file not found, it aint going to do much in that case - if nothing else it should run and fail to update so we need to work out why.

Just tried the process on a different lappy with AV paused and it still didn't work.

Not sure what else to do now apart from wait for a different fix from the boys at Modaco...
  • Intenso
    Intenso wrote: »
    Its hard to see because the the script closes but can you see if its even finding the adb-windows.exe? or is that utility not finding the file its supposed to copy?

If you can open a command prompt window first then run the script so it stays open to see the messages..
    (in windows 7 holding shift then right clicking on the folder gives an option to open command window here, then at prompt just type dictfix-windows.bat)

Its not finding the abd, it just states device not found.
  • Emy1501
    Emy1501 Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    I have the non-Voda V940 ICS installed and in Opera Mobile the Adobe website reports I have working flash version 11.1.115 which I didn't install.

In the in-built browser app it is also shown the same, the website identifies the Browser as Safari... haha!

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Flash doesn't work in Chrome.

Thanks alot. I'm picking mine up this evening. I wasn't planning to update to ICS yet and was hoping flash would be simple to install or would be installed. I'll see what happens.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite

Its not finding the abd, it just states device not found.

Sorry - apparently other people have installed the abd android developer kit package to make it work but thats not clear from the forum posts, I guess the modoco people forget what they load up!

Anyway your other option is to root the phone, it doesn't need the next step unlocking bootloader or any of that as your not going to change ROMs.

Once rooted its a simple matter of using a more advanced file manager (like ES File Explorer (free)) to copy a couple of files as the file manager can now read and write files in the locked system folder.

Here is a dilemma, I know how I did it with the version of ICS I have but I have no idea if it makes any difference if someone is on Voda ICS - may work, may not! (both 4.0.3?)

Has to be at least the right root unlocker utility for the android version your on, one for 2.3 will either not work or even worse!

On the plus side, once rooted you can make apps system apps by just moving them - sometimes useful. I am using a great toggles widget but installed as a normal app it doesn't have the permission to switch on/off GPS directly. Once moved into the system folder it can just like the default one only this one is fully configurable and has a 3G on/off toggle, flash lamp on/off etc.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Intenso
    OK, thanks SG.

I'm on the Velcom 940 Vers of ICS that you linked above.

Is it a simple process to root the phone from there.

I tried to install the abd android developer kit but got lost somewhere along the way lol
  • sillygoose
    OK, thanks SG.

I'm on the Velcom 940 Vers of ICS that you linked above.

Is it a simple process to root the phone from there.

I tried to install the abd android developer kit but got lost somewhere along the way lol

I used from the 'Unlocking and gaining root on Ice Cream Sandwich' section here with the unlockbootloader.exe program listed there. STOP Before 'Unlock Bootloader' bit.

It worked although part the process of unlocking system is the placing of part of the superuser app 'on the other side of the fence' this then can be told to allow you to pass things over the 'fence'.

The unlocker will smuggle some older basic version over which is just enough to get started..

After using unlocker go to the market install superuser on the 'user side'

This just leaves the issue that the 'secure' side doesn't properly match the 'user' side version - they thought of this so you need to use Superuser Update Fixer to get things up to date. (internet access needed) Once in sync you don't need this app, can update from Play as any app does.

The unlocker utility generates a virus warning on my PC so I had to disable it temporarily, It is a false alarm due to the program using code that is similar to a virus by nature its hacking your phone by exploiting a weakness in Unix. Also got an error message at the end I think, I think a spelling mistake in the closing bit of script. Still worked.

Also get from the market a root checking app like this, it will check and confirm when you have success.

Basically once the phone is rooted anything trying to get access to the secure bits will have to go through superuser which will pop up and ask you if you want to let it do so, still protected then.

Once you have root, get ES File Explorer - in the options you can set root access - generally safer left disabled, if superuser ask if it can give it permission grant it.
  • Intenso
    Thanks, SG

I think I'll have to gather some courage before I attempt that one. Looks a bit complicated.

I don't want to fubar my G300 when its working so well.
  • sillygoose
    Thanks, SG

I think I'll have to gather some courage before I attempt that one. Looks a bit complicated.

I don't want to fubar my G300 when its working so well.

Yup - although the unlocker is the key bit, the rest is just apps.
  • sillygoose
    Meanwhile G300 campers, if your bored you can have a play with Huawei HiSuite from here....

Its a PC app to manage your phone with your PC.

(Phone has to have USB debug set on in developer options in setup)

Manage your phone, see what pictures and music are on, edit your contacts, see your messages, backup data, messages, apps.

You can even grab your screen to a image, here is mine at this moment..

20121105185522376.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure