Clothing Collection Scam

I'm getting a lot of leaflets (8/9 pw) about Clothing Collections, is this a scam? or do they really go to a good cause?

Comments

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some are genuine, some are not, Most I receive are from Rag Mills, who sometimes team up with a well known charity and pay them anything between 7-13 pence per kilo, Others arent affiliated and sometimes state on the leaflet that there are a business.
    Items are then sorted some sold to Traders/Antique Dealers, What is still wearable is shipped to Africa (to be sold) and what is left is ground up, dyed and made into wipers/ mattress stuffing for industry. It is the ultimate in recycling, and there is a lot of money to be made.
    When I donate anything I take it direct to the charity shop.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    You need to check the small print on the leaflet. If they have a registered charity number, they are probably legitimate.

However, some just have a company number and/or no proper contact details - just a hotmail address. I am wary of these as they don't appear to be very charitable as it reads as if they are looking to profit from your donation.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Mrs_B_12
    Mrs_B_12 Posts: 364 Forumite
    We've had several lately from one place calling themselves Help and Support Ltd and showing a registered business number. It's NOT a charity number but it the way they set it out it looks like it is.

I alerted the local trading standards people so they know who is operating locally because I know they send out press notices if they get a lot.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Here is the information for Help & Support Limited - yet another Lithuanian clothing collection company!

COMPANY APPOINTMENTS
    Registered No.: 05834199
    Name: HELP AND SUPPORT LIMITED

Address: 137 DOVER ROAD
    NORTHFLEET
    GRAVESEND
    DA11 1QX

TRINOVAS, ARUNAS SECRETARY
    137 DOVER ROAD
    NORTHFLEET
    GRAVESEND
    DA11 1QX
    Appointed: 01/06/2006
    Nationality: BRITISH
    Company Appointments: 1

ZVAGZDYS, VYTAUTAS DIRECTOR
    137 DOVER ROAD
    NORTHFLEET
    GRAVESEND
    DA11 1QX
    Appointed: 01/06/2006
    Nationality: LITHUANIAN
    Date of Birth: 22/12/1970
    Company Appointments: 1
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We get loads of companies who are not registered charities dropping leaflets asking for clothing, perfume, mobiles etc. Easy enough to filter out most of the time due to the company number being mentioned but no charity number. Usually a quick search on the internet finds they aren't aswell. From what was said on a few sites they are sometimes just people feeling lucky who sell on ebay, wanting free stuff to sell. I think it's shocking myself, disgusting. I have tried personally warning people locally but only so much you can do. Worst part is most even don't provide a bag unlike most registered charities. I have given one collector a mouth full of my opinion before. I have contacted Trading Standards countless times, nothing done. We also get several a week. Tempted to put flyers out myself warning people but would probably end up in trouble.

Also some charity ones lately I dislike, one said they receive 10% of the proceeds from sales. Sorry I'd rather take it to the shops I know are legit.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • lil_me wrote: »
    We get loads of companies who are not registered charities dropping leaflets asking for clothing, perfume, mobiles etc. Easy enough to filter out most of the time due to the company number being mentioned but no charity number. Usually a quick search on the internet finds they aren't aswell. From what was said on a few sites they are sometimes just people feeling lucky who sell on ebay, wanting free stuff to sell. I think it's shocking myself, disgusting. I have tried personally warning people locally but only so much you can do. Worst part is most even don't provide a bag unlike most registered charities. I have given one collector a mouth full of my opinion before. I have contacted Trading Standards countless times, nothing done. We also get several a week. Tempted to put flyers out myself warning people but would probably end up in trouble.

Also some charity ones lately I dislike, one said they receive 10% of the proceeds from sales. Sorry I'd rather take it to the shops I know are legit.

I agree with you, it gives the real Charities a bad name :mad:
  • I got 4 Today!!! :eek:
  • Col.Mastard
    Col.Mastard Posts: 248 Forumite
    Is this really a Scam?

As I gave them some unwanted cloths recently
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Not all are but some are bussinesses making money from it.

sucks really I never leave stuff out and if I have stuff that is still good after I have finished with it it goes to the charity shop, or my mum takes it to where she works and the people she worsk with goes through the bags normally nothing comes back.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Most are scams. They have a Hotmail or Yahoo! contact address and claim that they provide employment for sorters and drivers etc. In reality they provide free stock for the big bosses and there are often warnings from Trading Standards in various regions. Some even go as far as snatching the bags that you leave out for Cancer Research, BHF, GOSH, etc.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport