The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

CSA- Going self employed

Comments

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Im probably not going to make myself popular with this view but I dont understand your reasoning.

Your partner has children. They are a comittment and need supporting, end of.

If you cant start your business and still support the children then why are you starting the business. You have a choice in going self employed or not and if he cant fullfill his obligations to his children by going self empolyed then perhaps you need to re think your plans or are you just assuming the childrens mum will just carry the burdon alone? Children are for life, you cant just choose not to support them.

He is not choosing not to support his kids from what i've read. Also if you read the OP's posts their child is going to be treated the same as the ex's children. For all we know his job could be ending and this way is better than going on income support etc. Forward planning etc...
    speedster wrote: »
    mmmmmmmmm.

lovely attitude to go through life with.

so, because he has children it means he cant go for it and try to better himself, which by the way will benefit his children in the long run if successful.

mind you, that's just the kind of response i've come to expect on here.

Cinders, don't worry about the csa for the time being. if the business doesn't do too well for the first year or 2, then assessments will be minimal anyway.

i would advise setting a standing order for whatever you feel you can afford then see what happens with the business. if there's no profit then there's no profit, end of.

I agree with you speedster-if we all had that attitude no one with kids would ever set up in business on their own, No doubt if and when the business is a roaring success, the posters saying he shouldn't go self employed will be saying he should only pay the same amount of maintenance he paid before he became self employed. (roll eyes)
    With the flexibility of being self employed you get more flexibility with your hours to a degree (obviously with self employment you tend to work more hours anyway but can be more flexible too)-this can help with relationships with children who don't live with you-access etc etc

OP-I say go for it and follow speedsters advice-good luck!! x
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • speedster
    speedster Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    finally. some sense amongst the ranks on here!

yes, child support is important, but there is life after marriage.

who knows, the OP could be stuck in a dead end job earning peanuts, and has decided to go for it and improve his life. which in turn will aid his children.

but, noooooooo. according to this forum, he should stay in his dead end job and not improve himself, just so he can carry on paying the ex a chunk.

typical of the attitudes on here. pathetic, blinkered one sided drivel.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY'LL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

and, please. only thank when appropriate. not to boost idiots egos.
  • speedster
    speedster Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    just to add, setting up my own business was by far the best thing i've EVER done.

my hours are far more flexible. for example, the mrs cant drive at present after an op, so i'm doing school runs and stuff cos i can juggle work as i'm da boss.

i also have more time to for my eldest daughter who is with us a lot, i can pick her up from school rather than getting home after a dead end job at 5 o clock etc, etc, etc.

added bonus is the CSA are a distant memory for me. the ex got fed up on a fiver a week and we now have a private agreement where i provide what is needed for our daughter. which, for the "wimmin" on here was what i offered her years ago, she was just greedy and thought she could use the CSA to destroy me (her words) epic fail. ;)
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. THEY'LL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

and, please. only thank when appropriate. not to boost idiots egos.
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Cinders30 wrote: »
    MY parents are supporting us whilst we have minimal income so we are cancelling sky, gym memberships etc etc so it is basic bills.....

Unfortunatly we were in an agreement however when the third child left college and we reduced the amount his ex contacted the CSA and set it up that way.

Our son is going to have to suffer without the luxuries for a few months so I'm afraid we all have too!

Can your parents afford to 'sub' you the CSA payments until they are paid back to you, as part of your living costs?

Make sure you keep all evidence of your reduced lifestyle as well so the PWC can't claim you are living a lifestyle inconsistent with income and also proof of any loan or gifts that your parents give you.

If the PWC asks for a variation then all your business and personal details will need to be disclosed and the PWC will be entitled to see all the evidence.

When I went down this route with my ex husband he had to disclose both his personal and business accounts (including credit cards and loans inc his mortgage) for the last 3 years and his partner was also asked to disclose financial details. You really want to avoid this if possible as the PWC loses a little bit of time, it is you that will have to put in a lot more time, effort and lost of privacy.
  • tattycath
    Forumite
    just to add, setting up my own business was by far the best thing i've EVER done.

my hours are far more flexible. for example, the mrs cant drive at present after an op, so i'm doing school runs and stuff cos i can juggle work as i'm da boss.

i also have more time to for my eldest daughter who is with us a lot, i can pick her up from school rather than getting home after a dead end job at 5 o clock etc, etc, etc.

added bonus is the CSA are a distant memory for me. the ex got fed up on a fiver a week and we now have a private agreement where i provide what is needed for our daughter. which, for the "wimmin" on here was what i offered her years ago, she was just greedy and thought she could use the CSA to destroy me (her words) epic fail. ;)

And i'm sure you're daughter benefits far more now that you're self employed hun-ours do, my OH can drop them off at school and spend much more quality time with them in general-and pay maintenance too-it's win win!! :j
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
  • chriszzz
    chriszzz Posts: 879 Forumite
    Id suggest to stay on top of the childrens maintenance that the csa have suggested. Once you send your accounts in you will then both know exactly what the csa has calculated you pay in maintenance.

I take my hat off to you both for having the bottle to take a risk....could be the best thing you ever do to enhance yours and the childrens life!!

Good Luck with your Company!
  • tattycath
    Forumite
    Soubrette wrote: »
    Can your parents afford to 'sub' you the CSA payments until they are paid back to you, as part of your living costs?

Make sure you keep all evidence of your reduced lifestyle as well so the PWC can't claim you are living a lifestyle inconsistent with income and also proof of any loan or gifts that your parents give you.

If the PWC asks for a variation then all your business and personal details will need to be disclosed and the PWC will be entitled to see all the evidence.

When I went down this route with my ex husband he had to disclose both his personal and business accounts (including credit cards and loans inc his mortgage) for the last 3 years and his partner was also asked to disclose financial details. You really want to avoid this if possible as the PWC loses a little bit of time, it is you that will have to put in a lot more time, effort and lost of privacy.

The Non resident parents' partner does not have to disclose any of their financial details or NI details to CSA-only the nrp has to do that
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    tattycath wrote: »
    The Non resident parents' partner does not have to disclose any of their financial details or NI details to CSA-only the nrp has to do that

Usually this is the case and indeed I believe they can still refuse to do this at a variation but then the assumption will be that there is a reason that they do not wish to disclose these details.

I know this because my ex also refused to disclose those details and received a stern letter advising that he was legally required to do so.

A variation is heard in front of a tribunal which is part of our legal system.

ETA I know this because as the opposing party I was copied into all correspondence that was sent or received by my ex.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Was in a similar position some years ago and it has all worked out for the good.

I wish you all the best with your new business- be prepared for lots of hard work and sometimes sacrifice but it is all worth it in the end.
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    finally. some sense amongst the ranks on here!

yes, child support is important, but there is life after marriage.

who knows, the OP could be stuck in a dead end job earning peanuts, and has decided to go for it and improve his life. which in turn will aid his children.

but, noooooooo. according to this forum, he should stay in his dead end job and not improve himself, just so he can carry on paying the ex a chunk.

typical of the attitudes on here. pathetic, blinkered one sided drivel.

There may be life after marriage: but there isn't AFTER CHILDREN!:(

Ideally it would be something you would discuss with the PWC, and see if she/he can actually manage without the CSA money for a while. But what if they cannot?

Soooooo many people think that the first responsibility is to themselves even once they have had children. :(
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport