uPVC door lock mechanism broken!

Comments

• Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have exactly the same problem as vancreef - it happened an hour ago.

Can anyone tell me what to do so that i can open the door?

Thanks
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi again,
    thanks very much for the pm`s and offers of help folks - the door is now fixed.
    We had to take the hinges off to get to the lock side and found that the part inside the lock that works the mechanism to shoot the bolts had sheared off.

The whole strip attatched to the lock went to the locksmith and he attatched the strips to a new lock as the one we had was obsolete.

It`s all back in working order now thank goodness, the locksmith was great, it took him ages to sort it out and he didn`t charge for the work, only the lock. He did say that this was the 7th one today and it`s not normally something he sees so much of, when we were there waiting someone else walked in with one too.

Thanks again everyone.
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • I have a problem whereby if you lift up the internal lever it can still be completely opened just bypushing down the outside pad. It used to be that if the internal lever had been lifted up you could only open it from the outside by ue of the key. Now I have to lock the door with the key form the inside to stop people just opening the door and walking in.

Any ideas?
  • I was letting my neighbour out and seemed to get the sequence of the door locking wrong because it would not lock and then i closed it and it would not open ,my Son managed to get it open but i was afraid to mess with it again so just closed it because i was told that it would cost a lot of money to get it open if i locked it and it stuck so did not go out and put the alarm on at night time, looked at adverts in paper and telephone directory and saw that prices were only given for the hourly rate some from£55 and some from £35 . I finally chose one and they came and said it was the locking mechanism i myself thought that it would be the barrel on the lock , the lock was only about £5 to replace but...... he proceeded to take everything off and the outcome was wait for it .... big shock as i am a Pensioner and not much money... £189 !!!!!!!!i feel sick you can get a new door for under £400 just , and i have been quoted £200 for my kitchen window glass and all so maybe i should have researched first because i saw a locking mechanism for £90 but whatcan you do? they6 hold all the cards
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My UPVC front door stayed locked over New Year. Our builder recommended someone who does "doors and windows" and he replaced the mechanism and the whole job cost about £110 which was £90 for the part and £20 labour.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    pensarenti wrote: »
    I was letting my neighbour out and seemed to get the sequence of the door locking wrong because it would not lock and then i closed it and it would not open ,my Son managed to get it open but i was afraid to mess with it again so just closed it because i was told that it would cost a lot of money to get it open if i locked it and it stuck so did not go out and put the alarm on at night time, looked at adverts in paper and telephone directory and saw that prices were only given for the hourly rate some from£55 and some from £35 . I finally chose one and they came and said it was the locking mechanism i myself thought that it would be the barrel on the lock , the lock was only about £5 to replace but...... he proceeded to take everything off and the outcome was wait for it .... big shock as i am a Pensioner and not much money... £189 !!!!!!!!i feel sick you can get a new door for under £400 just , and i have been quoted £200 for my kitchen window glass and all so maybe i should have researched first because i saw a locking mechanism for £90 but whatcan you do? they6 hold all the cards

So your blaming the guy for your door going wrong? if you want to put a new barrel on for £5 go for it but it wont help. and £190 is about average for a new locking system. just because you saw one for £90 does not mean that it would have been any good for your door. Thats like saying my ferrari needs a new engine, I have seen a ford one for £50
  • Hi,

I'm having problems turning the key in a UPVc door. The mechansim seems to be working fine. The key won't turn when the door is open either so i don't think it's an alignment issue

Thanks
  • Locknut
    Does the key turn at all? or just turn a little then get jammed?
  • Hi,

The key turns a tiny bit, so there's about 1mm of the lock sticking out. It won't go any further than that

Thanks
  • Locknut
    It sounds like the door mechanism has goneand is jamming the lock cam. I would need to see it though to know for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure