Why don't I want a JML Halogen Oven

Comments

• I got one for Christmas, takes some getting used to but once with trial and error I love it, most things far better and quicker, casseroles were the least successful, roast chicken dinner is great, warm oven a little oil in the base, peel potatoes, throw in the bottom (no need to part cook) coat in oil, season, chicken in breast down, for 3o min, then I put chicken breast up, with potatoes around chicken, with some carrots/parsnips/peppers etc what ever you like then finish for another 20-30 min, I have done chicken in 25 min and tested temp was cooked through so dont over cook it, take chicken out and mix spuds/veg to finish off, a perfect meal in an hour.
    Cleaning setting is a waste of time was bowel in sink far quicker.
    Best for doing crispy bacon, J/Pots, cheese on toast, fish etc would rec to anyone,
  • £30.00 + £5.00 delivery at the moment on the JML site.
    http://www.jmldirect.com/The-Original-Halogen-Oven-PH1501/
    The Best Currant Cutter known To Man!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 June 2010 at 1:12AM
    There are some Halogen oven recipes here: Halogen Oven Recipes and Instructions

The main issues with them seem to be weight of the bowl and whether the lid has a stand or not (having picked up the hot lid, where do you put it down safely while stirring/serving). I'd want to use one for a couple of weeks before I bought one.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    is it true once the halogen lamp needs replacing it needs an electrician to do it ?
  • Noentrobcap
    Noentrobcap Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 August 2010 at 5:39PM
    Hi everyone, I've just registered here. I live in Spain and have owned a halogen oven for many years. There is a website in Spain with a really huge amount of information about these ovens and also a great deal of recipes, all posted by users. Quite a nice community there. Of course it's in Spanish, but anyway I'll place some links here. I'm ready to help with recipes translations or any advice... Please check it, the thread has already 65 pages, growing every day.

(I'll edit leaving links out, didn't know it was not allowed)

This is page 1 with links to recipes and advice:

Page 65:

Some of the participants in the forum have also halogen oven recipes in their blogs:

mery is no doubt one of the best, she has some terrific videos there.

I hope this will help to increase the reputation of these ovens...they certainly deserve it.
  • murphy306
    murphy306 Posts: 409 Forumite
    I bought one yesterday £29.99 in Argos until 24 Dec 10, really good job I am really impressed with it
  • I have a halogen oven I went for a more expensive Andrew James, Although I think that its not worth all the extra money as all the halogen cookers seem to like the same but I am happy with it the best part is not having to clean the oven :rotfl: its much quicker just cleaning a glass bowl.
  • I bought mine 2 years ago and found it brilliant. Roast chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions, swedes and parsnips all in together and cooked ready for the plate. Cleans so easily it's a treat.

If mine breaks I'm straight off to the shops for a new one.

Highly recomment it.
  • Hi, I have two. They are ideal for families of less than four people for a Roast. I typically do a chicken in one with the extender ring (it burns on top if you don't use one) and the roast spuds in the other which needs to be hotter. They are great for anything which needs grilling, roasting or baking where things don't need to "rise". I would say they don't work so well for cakes as they tend to cook too quickly on top, and not in the middle. Having said that, I have had marginal sucess with a ring shaped cake tin.

You will have issues finding tins,trays and dishes to fit inside, so keep you eye peeled. I haven't tried just cooking using the bowl. The self washing feature is a bit of an exaggeration - it does of sorts, but things can splatter above the waterline and the lid and it can be quite a faff to keep clean. The bowl it huge, and does fit in the dishwasher just about.

I have had a bulb go on one, JML just asked me to send it back, and I was sent a new one. This one doesn't appear to be as hot as the other, so there is some inconsistancy with the temperature.

I still love these ovens though, and both of mine still get used regularly for all sorts.
  • Cristobal
    Cristobal Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 March 2012 at 7:34PM
    We had a JML Halogen Oven and the bulb has gone. All we can do is throw it away as there is NOWHERE at all that has bulbs for these models. At least with other models they supply spare bulbs which are, apparently, easy to change. A friend of ours had three JML ovens that all broke within the guarantee period. She didn't even bother after the third time. There are better ovens on Amazon but the delivery price to here in Spain is almost as much as the oven!
    It's a shame that links can't be attached, they would have been very useful!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure