makro v costco, which is best?

Comments

• smallpackages
    smallpackages Posts: 10,024 Forumite
    hi i dont know about makro but i love costco! i have always made back my membership money and then some. i pay about 30 quid a year for my card but last christmas my daughter wanted a £60 toy and i managed to get it from costco for £25 ! every month i buy lorne sausage, steak mince, chicken breasts,pork loin, flank steak for stew, dog food and muffins which i half then freeze. throughout the year i pick up christmas gifts too. i spend £7 on one bigf roll of top quality christmas wrap and it does for all of my gifts. the quality and value always impresses me. i can pick up magazines cheaper there too now. i love to browse books and always find unusual and cheap gifts, and pick up some great clothes. crocs for me and the kids - much cheaper. i have previously bought kitchen ware pots and pans and a tv. great service and no probs with returns. my latest costco bargain is my new raliegh bike. full size ladies bike with suspension etc priced at £250 on raliegh site and at halfords, costco price £114!!!!!!!! party on !
    :rotfl:"that grady! won't sit next to a black child in church! but eats eggs, shoot right out a chickens !!!!!!" from fried green tomatoes:rotfl:
    :smileyheaMSE is where my friends live :smileyhea
  • smallpackages
    smallpackages Posts: 10,024 Forumite
    oh and ps - as for morrisons i dont shop there often but i do make a special journey for tuna. it is the best fresh tuna i have found, probably cause it not frozen
    :rotfl:"that grady! won't sit next to a black child in church! but eats eggs, shoot right out a chickens !!!!!!" from fried green tomatoes:rotfl:
    :smileyheaMSE is where my friends live :smileyhea
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    oh and ps - as for morrisons i dont shop there often but i do make a special journey for tuna. it is the best fresh tuna i have found, probably cause it not frozen

thats my department:D, and yes all the meat/fish is fresh, i.e not been frozen before, Dave
    Take every day as it comes!!
  • How can I get card for marco?
  • mjgreen60
    mjgreen60 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ZARABOY wrote: »
    How can I get card for marco?

Ask him nicely?
    Just started comping - 1/12/08 - keep your fingers crossed!
  • It mean I dont run my own bussines and not meat their criteria. Is there other way to get a gard?
  • cybermum
    cybermum Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    New_Dude wrote: »
    To use Makro, you have to apply as a business or be in the public sector (and it's FREE), Costco let any riff-raff in as long as you pay their membership.

Um actually no.
    To join Costco you also have to be business owner or in one of a number of professions(NHS,police,fire service,accountant etc).

We belong to Costco and much prefer it to Makro.
    Great deals on washing powder,juices etc
    And they run passport saving books periodically too offering further reductions :beer:
  • Numenor
    Numenor Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ZARABOY wrote: »
    It mean I dont run my own bussines and not meat their criteria. Is there other way to get a gard?
    I'd be interested in an answer/solution to this too - I've wanted a Makro card for years, but never been able to convince an employer to get me one.
  • satan666wayne
    satan666wayne Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    cybermum wrote: »
    Um actually no.
    To join Costco you also have to be business owner or in one of a number of professions(NHS,police,fire service,accountant etc).
    Almost any company and all it's staff can join as long as you pay. I work in a warehouse for tesco and costco came in a few weeks ago anyone could join they even tried to get visitors to join.
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    I've only had a quick glance at Makro but after the positive reviews on here about Costco I joined. I made back the membership on the maple syrup alone! I think it's fantastic but I spend more because there are so many things I want to buy. I don't think you'd save on tins of vegetables or loo roll, but there are savings to be made if you know what you normally pay. I saved on tinned tuna and cat food. But the quality of a lot of the food is great and no piddly quantities. I got two 946gm jars of jalapenos for about £3.60. You'd pay almost half that for a tiny jar in the supermarket. I love the fact that I don't have to be popping into the supermarket every five minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure